What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-12 wintip strobes

JRo

Well Known Member
My RV-12 has the lighting kit option. I really like the pulse landing light and the combo wingtip LED strobe/nav.

On a recent pre-flight, I noticed the right wingtip strobe inoperative. Removal & close inspection revealed no wiring problems, but unit filled with moisture droplets. Unit appears to be sealed, so cleaning & drying not an option. I removed and inspected the left wingtip fixture (which works just fine) and discovered the green (synch) wire broken just short of the pin. Ordered a supply of new pins. Will repair green synch wire/pin.

2 questions:

1) Do I have any warranty recourse through either Vans or the LED manufacturer? I emailed both, but these things always occur on a Friday, so of course no resolution there.

2) Is it likely the right strobe doesn't work because of the broken "synch" wire in the left fixture?

Thanks,
Jim
N448JR

Jim, the broken sync wire would only cause the two lights to flash independently, not together, but would not cause the one light not to work. The moisture is more likely the culprit.

Thanks John. I wonder the likelihood of Vans or the strobe manufacturer honoring this? I bet that fixture is real pricey!

Jim

Thanks John. I wonder the likelihood of Vans or the strobe manufacturer honoring this? I bet that fixture is real pricey!

Jim

No problems, call Aero Leds and explain the problem and I'm sure you can mail in the old one for a new one or get your old one repaired for no cost.;) Hint; their add link is on the left hand of the page, gold print on black background.:rolleyes:

Back