What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

canopy stuck

AJBENKER

Help. Closed canopy from outside. Now I am unable to open. Ready to mount engine and install instrument package. I am exerting alot of pressure on outside handle but it just won't open. Help!!!!

The clearance between your canopy and the rear window may be too close.

Higher temps make the canopy expand.... if you try when temp has cooled down it may open with no problem.

I've had problems occastionally with difficult opening/closing--seems like thing were not being held up where the canopy latch is, but instead where the plastic guides on each side of the roll bar are--you might try nudging lower rear sides of the canopy out a bit (using a putty knife or somesuch to see if it releases whatever is hanging it up...i.e one of the canopy nuts. If you haven't ground down those plastic guides a bit, it might be more prone to catching on the egde of the rear-most canopy screw/nut.

If you are trying to open the closed canopy using one of the left and right side handles, try using the other side. The canopy flexes a bit when using the side handles and can hang-up in various places. Sometimes, carefully pulling outwards a wee bit on the side handles can help free-up the binding.

LUBE TRACK

Does anyone LUBE the parts in question here?
If so, a description of successes would be useful to the group....

Can you see the latch position? Is it fully disengaged? Other than the latch the only other place I can think of it snagging is where the guide tabs enter the side rails. Try getting another person to lift from the other side at the same time. The canopy may be flexing and hanging up due to lifting from one side.

If the latch is in the latched position and will not budge over the plastic channel, try applying a good amount of down pressure on the exterior handle and then turning it Or just remove the setscrew in the exterior handle to relieve the pressure. I had to sand down the plastic channel inside the cockpit. If sanding, go real slow and remove a tiny bit of materiel at a time.

Marty is right. I had that happen to me too and pushing down on the far end of the handle allows the latch to move away a little from the plastic notch and lets it slip over it much easier.
Before you break anything, just remove the outer handle and push the latch down to clear the plastic notch.

canopy interference

I had/have the same problem (I think)
What I found was that the fwd edge of the canopy interferes with the top of the instrument panel. If I open the canopy with the top latch (bit awkward), it tends to not "hang". To verify, I put some teflon tape on the IP, and the problem was solved. Haven't applied the permanent fix yet. Need to investigate the options.

Stuck canopy "thanks"

Just wanted to thank everyone who bailed me out. Every suggestion will be used in one way or an other. I pressed rather hard on the aft end of the outside handle and sure enough it opened. Thanks again. This site is great for a first time RV builder.

Back