What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Things that I've noticed about the RV-12.

Top Cat

Well Known Member
on my delivery flight home from picking up a new SLSA:

if you run down the Skyview battery ( from looking at it or learning how to use it) when you come of put the master on and start the surge of power to the Skyview internal battery as the system starts of try charging it is the reason the 5amp EFIS fuse blows. Vans agrees

When the flappers safe "up" coypu can still push the button and raise them a wee bit more you. An feel a tiny bump, se that they,re fully flush with the wing and notice an increase in a couple of knots kinda like the FD CTLS negative 6 flap position??

When line guys fuel the RV12 some will stop when the Moeller gauge reaches "full". I fell them to slow down at this splint and they can get in almost 3 gals more on my plane which is crucial doing these long legs home from Vans. One line guy, despite my warning, pumped as hard as he could and got a fateful of Avgas

At around 5000 to 5100 rpm my Rotax has a kind of harmonic...similar to synching the engines on a twin. Is this anything to do with the carbs or is it just in my head after 20 plus hours flying on the way home?

after about 15 hours I burped the engine and had to add half a quart to get a reading well into the flat part of the dipstick. Is this about right? How much are you guys adding and how often?

i'rea.ly learned to fly the plane better and like it more no more each time I fly it...except for the throttle and rudder pedals!

on my delivery flight home from picking up a new SLSA:

if you run down the Skyview battery ( from looking at it or learning how to use it) when you come of put the master on and start the surge of power to the Skyview internal battery as the system starts of try charging it is the reason the 5amp EFIS fuse blows. Vans agrees

I've never had this issue but I understand it is a problem.

When the flappers safe "up" coypu can still push the button and raise them a wee bit more you. An feel a tiny bump, se that they,re fully flush with the wing and notice an increase in a couple of knots kinda like the FD CTLS negative 6 flap position??

I didn't notice an increase. My flaperons on in-line with the wing tips when retracted.

When line guys fuel the RV12 some will stop when the Moeller gauge reaches "full". I fell them to slow down at this splint and they can get in almost 3 gals more on my plane which is crucial doing these long legs home from Vans. One line guy, despite my warning, pumped as hard as he could and got a fateful of Avgas

Oh yea. Sometimes, even when you run the fuel in slow, it will "blow back" at you as the air escapes. Got to go slow. I usually fill it up into the neck when flying cross country to get every little bit of range I can.

At around 5000 to 5100 rpm my Rotax has a kind of harmonic...similar to synching the engines on a twin. Is this anything to do with the carbs or is it just in my head after 20 plus hours flying on the way home?

I've got a vibration too but I was thinking it's the prop. I'm going to get it dynamically balanced after Airventure.

after about 15 hours I burped the engine and had to add half a quart to get a reading well into the flat part of the dipstick. Is this about right? How much are you guys adding and how often?

I don't use hardly any oil and neither does my neighbor (same engine, different airframe). Remember, it only takes less than a half of quart to fill the flat part of the stick. Burping the engine is an acquired skill. It takes a number of turns plus pausing on the compression stroke to get all the oil out. Do a search of the archives on this to learn a few tricks.

i'rea.ly learned to fly the plane better and like it more no more each time I fly it...except for the throttle and rudder pedals!

Love mine. I changed the throttle spring and it made the vernier more tolerable. I don't really mind it at all at this point. Rudder pedals? I never use mine.

Randy,

I had the EFIS fuse pop right after we started at Vans and it was for the reason that I'd been getting instruction on the Skyview and 'yeah it's okay to use it for a while', but?apparently it can pop the fuse if the internal battery is run down to some particular point.

I just got back from my 28 hour cross-country picking up my plane from Vans?I would say that the harmonic like vibration seems to occur right about 5080 rpm..just increase it a tad and it goes away.

I did add about half a quart of oil and it reads about 2/3 uo on the flat plate of the dipstick. I thought it was a bit odd that the oil was lower especially coming out of Vans?that's why I asked as I'm a newbie to the plane. Today after burping it was the same. I wondered if it had used some oil as it's been flown quite hard for 4 days in extreme heat out west, although I babied it as much as I could.

When I flew back from Oregon to Indiana, I flew the whole way at 5400-5500 RPM. There's no reason to baby the engine. It will run all day at 5500. Flew over 2,200 nm and maybe added 1/4 of a quart.

I will thoroughly check out the vibration after the prop is balanced. For me, I suspect the prop is adding some vibration so I need to get rid of that first.

Glad you got her home okay. That's quite a trip in a new airplane. It's a great little airplane, much more cross country capable than people give it credit for.

Randy,

I added half a quart and that might have been a little too much however it's in my hangar now and I'll have a look in a day or two.

Yes long journey close to 3000 miles and I must say it's a great little plane. Last 2 legs I flew above the clouds at 9500 and it was hard to believe that I was in this lovely little plane.

I typically used about 5150 in order to eek out the best range on legs approaching 3 hours until I've gotten more used to to the fuel consumption and flight planning.

It really has performed well. I had a call in to Vans about oil temps out west I'd see it nudge into the caution range. I've been step climbing to increase airflow for cooling and that worked. Once in cruise I'd typically see about 210-220 depending on altitude. I asked Vans what a 'typical' number might be as this is at the higher end of the green range.

Conversely I saw CHT drop to the lower caution, actually just nudging it, if I descended quickly so I tried to do it slower to prevent any kind of shock cooling.

Randy,

I had the EFIS fuse pop right after we started at Vans and it was for the reason that I'd been getting instruction on the Skyview and 'yeah it's okay to use it for a while', but?apparently it can pop the fuse if the internal battery is run down to some particular point.

I just got back from my 28 hour cross-country picking up my plane from Vans?I would say that the harmonic like vibration seems to occur right about 5080 rpm..just increase it a tad and it goes away.

I did add about half a quart of oil and it reads about 2/3 uo on the flat plate of the dipstick. I thought it was a bit odd that the oil was lower especially coming out of Vans?that's why I asked as I'm a newbie to the plane. Today after burping it was the same. I wondered if it had used some oil as it's been flown quite hard for 4 days in extreme heat out west, although I babied it as much as I could.

Just a quick note that we've just released SkyView 11.1, which has a fix to the issue that I think you were seeing when your fuse went. This is a bug-fix update only - there are no new features in this version over 11.0. As always, a full list of changes are available here. The software itself is on our SkyView downloads page.

Back