What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Stabilator question

rgmwa

Well Known Member
Has anyone done any experimenting at a safe altitude to see how well the pitch trim can or cannot control the -12 in the event of a stabilator cable breaking? :eek:

If only one of the cables failed couldn't you use the trim to keep the other cable tensioned and still use the stick to control the stabilator via the still working cable?

Has anyone done any experimenting at a safe altitude to see how well the pitch trim can or cannot control the -12 in the event of a stabilator cable breaking? :eek:

I,m just installing mine....each cable is really heavy duty. Can't imagine how you'd ever break one. Even if it rubbed on the tail section you would cut through a lot of aircraft before cable failure.

Fortunately cable failures are pretty rare, but they are not unknown. There was a fatal accident in Australia two or three weeks ago that has generated a lot of discussion down here and appears to have been the result of a control cable issue (not an RV). I understand that the FAR's require certified aircraft to be able to be flown in a stable attitude without the use of the primary longitudinal control system. RV-12's are designed to ASTM standards so presumably they don't need to demonstrate this behaviour, but it would be useful to know what would happen if one of the cables or linkages did fail, and whether trim and power could be used effectively to try to get the plane down safely.

Back