What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Do you make radio calls even if you are the only one in the traffic pattern?

Do you make radio calls even if you are the only one in the traffic pattern?

• Yes

Votes: 287 98.0%
  • No

Votes: 6 2.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

AX-O

Well Known Member
This is a simple question. Please answer yes or no. This question is for non-tower airport. I will discuss the reasoning for the question on Monday afternoon.

Yes, because I might not being seeing someone else that also thinks they are the only one in the pattern (so they aren't talking).

Yes, but...

depending on circumstances, maybe not every leg (downwind, base, final). I ALWAYS call downwind. If there is no one around, and no one has called since I called downwind, I probably will not call base, or will say 'base turning to final'. I always say 'departing runway xx, closed traffic' or as appropriate.

At some point, someone is going to show up to share the airport. Should not be any surprises. If you don't announce which runway you are using, you can't expect anyone else to decide to use the same direction, so you gotta communicate.

Yes..and here is why

The AIM, Section 4-1-9, recommended communications procedures for inbound traffic at non-towered airports, states that a call should be made 10 miles out, as well as entering downwind, base, final, and leaving the runway...and yes, I know it is only "recommended"....however, the AIM is there for a reason, and I do not believe it is a good idea to disregard any of the recommendations...you may develop a bad habit..and bad habits sometime lead to bad events...

Always do it the same way....setting a good example is good for the spirit.

Sorry this was not a one-word answer..but if it was, the answer is Yes.

Of course.

I can never be sure I am alone in the circuit, and theres many airports without an ATC service that receive RPT traffic, so just because I am alone this lap doesn't mean I am not going to have a Dash-8 lining up for a 10 mile final on the opposite runway (because I'm not talking, it only has a 5-knot downwind component and it is a much shorter taxi to the terminal) the next time around the pattern.

There are many recommendations that can be "safely" ignored. This isn't one of them.

Yes - but there there is often radio-less aircraft at our field so a good lookout is essential.

Jim Sharkey

Look, Listen, Report

Yes - but there there is often radio-less aircraft at our field so a good lookout is essential.

Jim Sharkey

Same at my home airport but looking should be first priority at all airports [even those with towers]. Listening is second priority and not done so well by most. Lots of distractions when preparing to land and we all need to practice listening. Reporting some distance out (i use 5 miles as we are in high traffic area and more then 5 miles would add confusion), entering downwind, and final are typical reports I provide even at 5:30am when everyone else is sleeping.

This has happened also - -

2 announce at the same time, and you can't understand either, and one or both might be at the airport you are at. If I don't hear anything, I might announce a couple things at once, but at least 3 times.

Yes, I gave flight instruction to a deaf (meant to type speech impediment) student (eventually) pilot. He could hear perfectly fine. The FAA gave him a LODA for his disability.

edit: very bad speech impediment

Last edited:
We have a few radio less ac at our field that fly a lot. Then you get the two guys talking at the same time. Are they both at your airport? Next is the pilot who only transmits once, doesn?t hear anyone else and lands with no futher communications. then u have the student solo pilot who announces 33 downwind and he?s actually upwind on 24, the intersecting runway. Then the idiots taking off at opposite ends of the same runway. happens at 2 airports in ny state that neither end can see the other end of the runway and maybe 1 or both are radio less, it?s a calm wind and one or both could be student pilots in radio less ac. oh my god should I continue? Call 10 miles out and follow ALL procedures and maybe, just maybe someone might live longer!! i am almost willing to bet most every pilot reading this has seen or heard or experienced some the above in as short a time as 2-3 yrs of flying and almost all of us has been in one the scenarios

Yes, I gave flight instruction to a deaf student (eventually) pilot. He could hear perfectly fine. The FAA gave him a LODA for his disability.

If he could hear perfectly fine , must not have been deaf !

And yes 90% of the time , 100% on short final .

If he could hear perfectly fine , must not have been deaf !

And yes 90% of the time , 100% on short final .

Sorry, not enough coffee... He had a very bad speech impediment... One really couldn't understand him on the radio.

I do

Yes - can't remember how many times that pattern is quiet until I make my call, then suddenly someone else is there!

yes, like scsmith, maybe not every leg, but every time entering downwind, final and short final. I never make the taxing radio call though.

bob burns
RV-4 N82RB

Yes, at least 5 out depending on speed, all legs, be succinct
(brevity & clarity), and please don't say "any traffic in the pattern please advise"

Don

Last edited:
No taxi calls when landing runway is obvious or someone is already in the pattern. Use taxi call to inform incoming traffic of my intended runway.

I wonder why

Yes, at least 5 out depending on speed, all legs, be succint (brevity & clarity), and please don't say "any traffic in the pattern please advise"

Don

this is a problem ?? Can't count the number of times I've received answers to this question from aircraft that had not previously announced their arrival or departure.

I wonder why this is a problem ?? Can't count the number of times I've received answers to this question from aircraft that had not previously announced their arrival or departure.

"any traffic in the pattern please advise"

Use it on your next BFR and see the response you get from your instructor.

this is a problem ?? Can't count the number of times I've received answers to this question from aircraft that had not previously announced their arrival or departure.

AIM Section 4-1-9:

g. Self-Announce Position and/or Intentions

1. General. Self-announce is a procedure whereby pilots broadcast their position or intended flight activity or ground operation on the designated CTAF. This procedure is used primarily at airports which do not have an FSS on the airport. The self-announce procedure should also be used if a pilot is unable to communicate with the FSS on the designated CTAF. Pilots stating, "Traffic in the area, please advise" is not a recognized Self-Announce Position and/or Intention phrase and should not be used under any condition.

http://aeromanual.com/AIM_4-1-9

Yes, it is considered superfluous. If you announce your position and intentions, it is understood (and implied) that anyone in the pattern should announce theirs. If they don't, "any traffic... Advise" won't make them talk either.

Don

Why not announce?

I can't really think of a good reason to not announce as recommended by the AIM. Most UNICOM/CTAF record all transmissions. I often think about how the NTSB report will read if I don't announce and have a midair.

Answer: yes.
Comments:
1. Please include the airport name in your calls. Even though there are more frequencies available these days than 122.8, it drives me crazy to hear someone announce "downwind for runway 30" and I cannot find him, only to figure out that he is at another airport 50 miles away. Side note: the multiple frequencies increase the chance that someone is on the wrong one. Keep looking!
2. IFR approaches: please do not say "5 miles out on the vor alpha Tracy". Half or more of the pilots in the pattern will have no idea where you are. Say "5 miles east of Tracy"
3. The "anyone around please advise" drives me crazy, as does idle chatter discussing the restaurant food. Again, you may be blocking communications at another airport some distance away.

I have from time to time asked other aircraft, "What are your intentions?" About half the time they are dumbfounded by the question and appear to have no intentions.

Also, when I deem it necessary I'll ask pilots to slow down what they say, because a lot of pilots rattle off their message so quickly it's indecipherable.

And once in a while I'll depart from the approved jargon to say something or ask a question in plain English. If it's not too busy this works pretty well. If it is busy this takes too long.

Dave

Answer: yes.
Comments:
1. Please include the airport name in your calls. Even though there are more frequencies available these days than 122.8, it drives me crazy to hear someone announce "downwind for runway 30" and I cannot find him, only to figure out that he is at another airport 50 miles away. Side note: the multiple frequencies increase the chance that someone is on the wrong one. Keep looking!
2. IFR approaches: please do not say "5 miles out on the vor alpha Tracy". Half or more of the pilots in the pattern will have no idea where you are. Say "5 miles east of Tracy"
3. The "anyone around please advise" drives me crazy, as does idle chatter discussing the restaurant food. Again, you may be blocking communications at another airport some distance away.

And watch out for pilots are have been so easily driven crazy :)

Yes. Duh!

Yes, I follow all the standard procedures for an uncontrolled airport, including making all the standard radio calls, even if I think there's no one else around. Not doing this could easily lead to conflict between two aircraft who are both unaware of each other.

Yes, perhaps I need to lighten up! I put this in the same catagory as pilots calling ATC and ending their transmission with "request". Of course you have a request, why else are you calling? I know some controllers take it in stride, while others are clearly put off.

Yes, because it's standard procedure, and it increases my chances of avoiding the two percent who don't (according to the poll).

...please don't say "any traffic in the pattern please advise"...

How this crept into our jargon I do not know - but it's painful to listen to. Maybe there ought to be a fine.

"Over and out."

Dan

How this crept into our jargon I do not know - but it's painful to listen to. Maybe there ought to be a fine.

"Over and out."

Dan

We have a whole generation of people that don't know how to hold a pencil.

I can see where this came from.

Isn't this a catch-22 question? How would I know I was the only one in the pattern, if I did not announce myself? Yes I look every which way to check but have on occasion been met with a surpise response to a call. The call out to traffic is not a guarantee of any sort, just one more tool to use.

Isn't this a catch-22 question? How would I know I was the only one in the pattern, if I did not announce myself?...

You listen for others when they make their position reports... Then you know. For you to jump on frequency and essentially "demand" that others make a position report for your benefit is at best, rude. The other people may have just made their position reports 5 seconds before you joined the party, but now have to repeat them just for you?

Now, If you are on the 45 for the downwind, and some other guy is closed traffic turning downwind ( potential conflict), he will most certainly respond to your position report without the redundant "any other traffic..." Further, if another guy is on short final, what value is HIS report to you? He'll be at the gas pumps before you turn final. The point is, if we all make our position reports, it will become obvious what the traffic situation looks like. The demand to advise from every newcomer is redundant and clogs up the frequency.

I always anounce departing, base, final, and clear of runway.....I mean, its just engrained i suppose

I'll call 5 miles out, entering downwind, and short final, plus any other calls needed to coordinate with local traffic.

You listen for others when they make their position reports... Then you know. For you to jump on frequency and essentially "demand" that others make a position report for your benefit is at best, rude. The other people may have just made their position reports 5 seconds before you joined the party, but now have to repeat them just for you?

However, "any traffic in the pattern please advise" an appropriate request in several instances, but only after monitoring the frequency for several moments. As I see it, it's primarily used when nobody's said anything for a while and you don't see any traffic and you're trying to avoid surprises. This is when other pilots are most likely not to announce themselves - when they think nobody's listening because nobody's talking.

Dave

Now, If you are on the 45 for the downwind, and some other guy is closed traffic turning downwind ( potential conflict), he will most certainly respond to your position report without the redundant "any other traffic..." Further, if another guy is on short final, what value is HIS report to you? He'll be at the gas pumps before you turn final. The point is, if we all make our position reports, it will become obvious what the traffic situation looks like. The demand to advise from every newcomer is redundant and clogs up the frequency.

It seems as if you're taking Shado to task for the "any traffic please advise" habit, yet he made no reference at all to doing that. Unless I misunderstand his post, he's just saying that you should make normal calls regardless of whether or not you think anyone else is in the pattern.

And yes, I always make calls. Even if nothing but crickets have responded to my last three calls, I'm still going to call base/final/clear/etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back