What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

While you were all snug in your bed

N941WR

Legacy Member
While you were all snug in your bed (Long)

My son and I were sleeping here:
NC08.jpg

(Photo by Eric Davis.)

This past weekend I hooked up with the Southeast Region Recreational Aviation Foundation.

Being an avid hiker, I always thought it would be great fun to use my airplane to extend my reach. However, that first airplane, a 1941 Taylorcraft, was a bit limited on the people and gear hauling department. The T-Craft was replaced by an RV-9 that was built in my basement with such adventures in mind. I chose the RV-9 for its low stall speed and tailwheel configuration so I could visit some out of the way grass strips. While not a “bush plane”, it should work on some of the rougher strips I dreamed of, or so I thought.

Unfortunately, other than flying to Oshkosh and Lakeland and pitching my tent in the homebuilt camping area, my flying camping experience was very limited. Part of the problem is that I live in the Carolinas and there just aren’t back country fields like what I read about out West.

That changed when my wife stumbled upon a post about a camping adventure that was listed on The Recreational Aviation Foundation’s website, www.theraf.org. The “2014 River Run to the Atlantic” was just the trip, my wife told me. “It will last two nights and you and T (our five year-old son) will have a great time,” she said. Hummm… I think she is trying to get rid of us for a weekend so she can have two uninterrupted days of scrapbooking.

After exchanging a few emails with Eric Davis regarding the logistics, timing of this adventure, and condition of the fields, I signed up; the fact that the starting point was only 56 nautical miles from my home airport made the decision even easier. The only challenge was getting off of work earlier enough on Friday, loading the plane, and getting to the starting point before dark.

Davis had posted a video online depicting the approach into the starting point, NC08 (Tusquittee Landing Airport, Hayesville, NC). Lucky for me, I didn’t watch it until after I returned home. While I enjoy flying into challenging strips, skimming over the top of trees while on downwind isn’t something I’m particularly comfortable with, or wasn’t until after this adventure.

After dodging some thunderstorms and mountain peaks while sneaking our way into NC08 I performed a low inspection pass (That’s my story and I’m sticking with it!) before climbing up and doing the approach a second time and landing on a runway as smooth as the fabled Triple Tree Aerodrome.

After shutting down next to a monstrous tricycle gear Helio Super Courier we jumped out and were quickly greeted by Davis, some of the home owners who live at NC08, and the other intrepid aviators. Looking past the two story tall Super Courier, I spied a story and a half tall “normal” camo painted Helio Courier and started to wonder what I got myself into. Looking around there was Brown’s immaculate 1964 V-tail Bonanza and a 2004 Cessna Skylane that looked brand new. “OK,” I thought to myself, “I know I can go anyplace the 182 and Bonanza can go, this might not be so bad after all.”

While pulling “stuff” out of the back the RV, one of the home owners walked up and introduced herself. Alice (My apologies Alice, I didn’t get your last name.) gave my son and I a tour of the airfield, showing us points of interest, the port-a-jon, her and her husband’s immaculate 100 HP clip-wing Cub, the pond, and a few other items. It turns out both her and her husband are pilots and they really enjoyed hosting this wayward group of intrepid pilots.

After meeting the rest of the group, setting up the tent, tying the plane down and doing all the other things that are required; we went to sleep, serenaded by the coyotes.

Saturday morning we were treated to donuts, coffee, and homemade biscuits; all provided by the homeowners. After our “camp breakfast”, we loaded up and headed out.

Last edited:
Page 2

First off was Davis in the Bonanza, followed by the Skylane, then the pair of Helio?s, and finally my son and I in the RV. Being the kind of guy I am, I flew IFH AKA ?I Follow Helios? to our first destination. Mustang Field (0GA1) was on the edge of Lake Hartwell, just to the west of the Georgia / South Carolina state line. A signed liability release waver was required before landing there (as well as some of the other runways we visited) which shouldn?t surprise any pilot landing at unknown private strips.

Once on the ground, after a less than perfect landing (Which seemed to be my theme for this adventure), all five planes and passengers were greeted by the owner Steve Holder and his friends. Once again the people we visited provided donuts and drinks. I?m thinking I like this ?back country? flying!

Next on the agenda was an uncharted private strip 38 miles further down the Savannah River. Bob Rhodes Field was cut out of the woods and was described as having some ?dips? in it and being ?narrow?.

So, let me paint a picture, my RV-9 has a 28 foot wing span. When I land on a runway that is narrower than that, I consider it a narrow runway. Following Davis?s Bonanza in wasn?t too bad, other than finding the place. While staying behind the Bonanza on downwind, I couldn?t see the runway, then on base, I still couldn?t see the runway. No problem, we will just follow the Bonanza in, he has been here before, he knows where he is going. Turning final I still didn?t see the runway. Then I realize Davis is landing in a slit of trees. After going around a tall pine, slipping to get to the end of the runway I realize the ?runway? is the side of a hill. Flaring hard I three point the plane, shoot over the berm that is part of runway, push the nose over to maintain speed, goose the throttle, follow the contour of the runway downhill, flair to land, catch the runway going uphill, coast over the culvert that is marked with white barrels laying on their side as they slide evenly under my 28 foot wingspan, staying in the center and add power to finish taxiing uphill to the end of the runway. I quickly shut down, jump out, and look to make sure all the parts that I left with in the morning were still on the plane.

Next up was the Skylane. His approach and landing were so smooth I?m not sure he bent over any grass. (I think he landed long and missed the initial uphill part that I landed on. That?s what I?m telling everyone.) The forth plane to land was the conventional gear Helio who made easy work of the strip, followed by the tricycle gear Helio. As big as those two Helio?s are, they sure make that rough strip stuff look easy!

OK, three airports, three lousy landings, but the RV was still in the game.

With bad weather predicted on the coast, we changed our plans. The group flew over to Anderson, SC (KAND) for fuel and then on the Runway Caf? at the Greenville Downtown Airport (KGMU) for lunch. Both paved strips and Davis once again showed his mastery of his Bonanza by making some incredibly short landings, even landing shorter than both Helio?s. Not to hurt his feelings but I think the Helios were saving their brakes.

After lunch we flew West to another private strip where we met a master aircraft restorer and were treated to a visit in his ?barn?, which contained 13 beautifully restored aircraft, a 1950 Ford truck, T-bird, and various engines, tractors, and more.

From there it was back to our ?camp? for the evening. The Helios had commitments on Sunday so they quickly packed up and departed but not before showing how truly short they could take off and land. They were replaced by an RV-10 flown in for the night from Charlotte, NC. The pilot was the father of one of my son?s friends and the two boys had a great time running around and doing what five year-old boys do.

Rather than cooking our camp food after the Helios departed, all eight of us were chauffeured into town by the residents of NC08 where we enjoyed a great dinner and company. Truly a fantastic community and outstanding people!

Saturday evening found us in our tents, once again being serenaded by the coyotes. Sunday morning?s breakfast was another feast of ?camp food? provided by the residents of NC08. I was worried I was not going to get the powdered sugar off my face before returning home and telling my wife how we ?roughed it? all weekend.

A big THANK YOU to the homeowners at Tusquittee Landing Airport (NC08) for your hospitality and to Eric Davis & The Recreational Fliers Association for putting together a truly fun adventure!

More pictures on FaceBook.

Sounds like fun. Surprised there weren't more planes along. Indeed the 9 does pretty well on rough fields.

Greg

I don't think many people know about www.theraf.org. Nora found it and told me about it.

I'll be sure to post a link to the next big adventure scheduled out here.

We had an outstanding time! The only problem is that I have to find a seat for Nora for our next outing.

RAF is doing a lot of good work out west in saving backcountry airstrips from being taken out of the public domain. They seem to actually spend most of their (relatively small) budget on actually doing something rather than on bureaucracy. They are all-volunteer. I encourage anyone to look at what they are doing and you will want to support their efforts either financially or personally.

Greg

Awesome Bill. I see a 4-place (non-RV) back country plane in your future. It's okay, we'll still let you on the VAF forum!

And I was at FL390 over the Atlantic heading East......

Mind you, I did have a 30 minute snooze, just not in my bed - Hosties are a good pillow :D

Back