What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Standard Drill Sizes

Sam Staton

Well Known Member
If any of you have struggled with putting together what a #32 or #F drill is, I have developed a list. Since I can't post it as an attachment, I will e-mail it anyone who wants it. I have it in ASCII text & Excel format. If it helps you, great! If not, please ignore. If anyone has corrections, let me know and I will incorporate them.

I want one!!

Thanks Sam!!!

Tom

longfellow_tom at yahoo dot com

list

Many industrial hardware stores and machine shop supplys have cards that show fractional, letter and number size drills and their respective sizes. An example of industrial hardware in the Southwest is McFadden-Dale, with stores in Las Vegas, NV and Corona, CA as well as other locations.

Sam
Can I have both .txt or .xls format please?
John

rjtjrt
at
hotmail
dot
com

Sam
Me as well please.

rjtjrt at hotmail dot com

Thanks
John

Sam,

If you e-mail both files to me at ccsmith51 at yahoo dot com I'll upload them to my web site and post a tinyurl for each one.

Chris

I would love one

flycirrus at aol dot com.

Thanks.

If any of you have struggled with putting together what a #32 or #F drill is, I have developed a list. Since I can't post it as an attachment, I will e-mail it anyone who wants it. I have it in ASCII text & Excel format. If it helps you, great! If not, please ignore. If anyone has corrections, let me know and I will incorporate them.

Drill sizes

Hi Sam,

I'm a aircraft sheet metal worker (20yrs), this is what I've always used for clearance drills for rivet installations.

The main drill sizes you need to know for fastener installation, rivets and bolts are

#40 = 3/32 rivets
#30 = 1/8 rivets
#20 = 5/32 rivets
#10 = 3/16 rivets
F = 1/4 rivets

For close tolerance holes I recommend reaming, you can also use a drill for non critical areas
#13 = 3/16 bolts
D = 1/4 bolts

You should be able to track down a decent drill chart on the net for fraction, decimal and metric drill sizes, here is one I found http://www.imperialinc.com/pdf/I_DrillSizeDecimalEquivalent&TapDrillChart.pdf

Cheers,

Nick..

Amazing response

Folks -
I have been inundated with requests for the drill chart (just wish I could get responses like this on the tail kit I have for sale...). Chris Smith (see earlier posts) has offered to post a tiny url so everyone can download as they please. Thanks a million, Chris! By the way, Dan is still at it - a Sonex kit for him shared the truck with my -6 kit coming back from Texas.

Standard Drill Sizes Files

Folks -
I have been inundated with requests for the drill chart (just wish I could get responses like this on the tail kit I have for sale...). Chris Smith (see earlier posts) has offered to post a tiny url so everyone can download as they please. Thanks a million, Chris! By the way, Dan is still at it - a Sonex kit for him shared the truck with my -6 kit coming back from Texas.

Here they are:

In text- www.cmsdreams.com/ADS.txt

In Excel- www.cmsdreams.com/ADS.xls

Funny how the world works. Dan is my best friend!!

Anyone that has an RV-4 and wants to go LSA, I'm looking to trade my Cleanex (Corvair powered Sonex) plus maybe some cash for an RV-4. The Sonex is closest in performance to an RV of all LSA's... Info on my plane at www.cleanex.cmsdreams.com. I need to get an RV-4 to keep up with Dan!!!

Chris

I used to live in the USA in the 70's as a kid in the first half of high school. I remember the metric familiarisation cartoons on Saturday mornings (a metre is a little more than a yard...). Real shame you guys did not go metric. About to begin the build process and not looking forward to the pre 1700's measurement system I am going to have to re-learn ;-)

Guess I will have to download these and anything else that helps stop me screwing up. ;-)

I used to live in the USA in the 70's as a kid in the first half of high school. I remember the metric familiarisation cartoons on Saturday mornings (a metre is a little more than a yard...). Real shame you guys did not go metric. About to begin the build process and not looking forward to the pre 1700's measurement system I am going to have to re-learn ;-)

Guess I will have to download these and anything else that helps stop me screwing up. ;-)

Please...:rolleyes:

Back