What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Best Christmas present

carolsyracuse

Well Known Member
Yesterday I got the best Christmas present. Vic called me to the hangar at 3:15. Vic put a bow on our new rv10 and declared it totally finished. One day previously Vern Darley inspected and signed off on the a/c. Today with our two children and their families and Vic's brother and his wife present he did the first flight. Vic broke his own rule of no audiences for first flight, but convinced me he was very confident of this airplane. Mid flight Vic was joined with a group of rv's from Peachtree city and our own home field of Mallard's landing. Thanks to all the family members who were present for the first flight and to all the rv's that joined in the celebration. Here are the first flight pictures.

http://s903.photobucket.com/home/cadisy

Last edited:
Carol (and Vic),
Congrats on the new 10's first flight! I hope you like it as much as your first one. I'll have to come down and see it too (like Vern's).

Enjoy it and be careful,

Congratulations Carol and Vic! A very nice Christmas present indeed. It looks beautiful!

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year

David and Mary Maib

RV-10

Congrates Vic and Carol I would love to come see sometime. Glad you family could be there to see first flight. Brent

Thanks for all of the kind comments. We've had Company, so I've only managed to get 2.5 hours on it between today and yesterday. The Mattituck engine sure is strong! With OAT's of 40 degrees F, my max cht's on first climbout out were 400 (full throttle climb to 2000' AGL), and then settled into the mid 300's at 25 squared for an hour. So Mahlon and crew either broke it in on the stand, or my baffling worked out really great. Most likely the former. :) Oil temps seem to hover around 175, and I can bring them up to around 200 by closing off the air with the in-line valve controlling air to the cooler.
A quick 4 cardinal point GPS check at 5500 feet today showed 173 knots TAS at 23 squared. No leaks other than one fuel line at the tank, but Bonaco is sending the new line this week. The bummer as you all know is that replacing the line from the tank to the valve is not going to be fun.
So now, get the time flown off and take Carol flying. I owe her some trips, and I need a rest!
Happy New Year to All!!

Vic

Congrats!

Congratulations Vic and Carol! It's a beautiful bird! I look forward to seeing it flying around the neighborhood. And taking a ride in it :)

Rebecca

Congrats you guys! I remember when I was down at your place and you had just started on the tail of the new 10. Wow...you are really fast!

Congratulations!!

A great Christmas present indeed!!! Looked at your pictures and spotted my handiwork on your door. Good looking inside door handles, Vic. Makes me feel good to see them in action. Have fun flying off the time and even more fun taking the wife with you.

Fly safe,

Dave Nellis
[email protected]

What a great Christmas present for you and Carol.....look forward to seeing it in person.

Glenn
N654RV @ MLJ

Back