VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 01-30-2019, 10:58 AM

Default Empennage Wiring Harness BooBoo

I read the note in the plans to look at the wiring before attaching the sides but didn't see the need to rout the wires before riveting. After riveting the sides on I then routed the wiring. Huge problem has I didn't realize some of the wiring is channeled along the longeron! Had to remove the Molex connector to fit it through the bulkhead. Does anybody else question the tightness of the cable running through the first bulkhead? I added a piece of protective plastic to keep the wires from chafing through sometime in the future.

I'd attach picture of the bulkhead issue except I don't know how to attach it.

Last edited by dbs : 01-30-2019 at 11:01 AM.
Old 01-30-2019, 11:26 AM

As I have posted before, I consider the Vanís RV-14 wiring harness causes more pain than it is worth. The multiple, big clunky molex connectors are prime example - along with the amazingly fragile tiny molex connectors for the trim motors. On top of that is the lack of shielded wire where it makes sense.

I recommend just making your own wiring runs. This is after all, just wire.

Carl
Old 01-30-2019, 12:52 PM

Default Underside of the J-Channel

Try finessing the connectors through the underside of the J-channel. I was able to get all the connectors/wires through. I believe the plans asked us to place the RJ-11/telephone wire on top. Like you, I placed tape on the bulkheads to help with the chafing; I hope it holds up through the years.
Finishing Kit
Old 01-30-2019, 05:06 PM

I wrapped my wires with plastic spiral wrap and ran them through the lightning holes. I then used grommet edging in the lightning holes for for their protection.