What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

forward top skin F-821PP riveting and baggage door

lucaperazzolli

Well Known Member
I need to understand this step, please give me your opinion and ideas

I'm ready to rivet my fwd top skin, all the wiring is complete and I've the optional window for back panel access. I've not jet removed the door baggage from the skin.

I would like to rivet all the skin on (completely), cut the baggage door, drilling it from the inside (as per plan) via the access panel back window.

It's a right way ? Help me with your experience please

Thanks in advance

Luke,
My only advice is don't hesitate to use CherryMax blind rivets where needed. The gear tower and a couple of other areas are very difficult if not impossible to buck solid rivets. Especially when the gear tower is full of wires and plumbing.
Good luck,
John

cherry-max for top skin

John,

thanks for your advice - effectively I saw that it's almost impossible reach the holes into the gear tower with the bucking bar, do you think that's ok for the longerons enlarge few holes to 1/8 instead that original 3/32 for the #40 solid rivets ?

Yes, no problem. Edge distance is OK and the CherryMax rivets are certified as direct replacement for 1/8" solid rivet. They are very strong. However, they are expensive.

Back