What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dreaded Glare Shield - GASH !

C. Brenden

Well Known Member
It appears that Harrison Ford may have cut his forehead on the glareshield. I have seen many RV's with no edge protection on the top of the instrument panel. This is exactly where your head will hit in an accident.
I would like to see some of the different ideas builders have used to make this safer. I am helping a friend get his RV back into the air and he just has a sharp metal edge and I am sure some of you have some great ideas to make this safer.Please share some posts and pictures. Thanks.

Don't assume that a laceration on the forehead means that there was no edge protection on his glare shield.

Considering the high energy impact that can occur, it can still split the skin if padded.

Oh, pardon me. I read the subject line and thought you were calling for me. Nothing to see here. Move along... :)

...by the way, do a search for "pinch welt". There are various sizes, colors and designs out there. I have basic black automotive pinch welt on my glare shield and it looks good.

Glare shield

Classic aero also has a cushioned glare shield edge protector. Looks good and might provide a bit more protection.
Bill

I ran slit 1/4 inch fuel line filled with gorilla snot over the sharp edge. Then used 1/4 closed cell foam to pad the top and make the fuel line flush. Then I covered the top with a heavy duty yoga mat bull nosed around the edge. All in all it makes for a nicely cushioned edge. If/when the yoga mat deteriorates I'll just add a new one on top of it.

Last edited:
Shoulder harness?

I doubt seriously that that old airplane had shoulder harnesses either...good protection.

Best,

I would go with an airbag. I was once in a 50 mph head-on collision (with a telephone pole after losing control on a slippery road) and I think the airbag saved me a bad head injury. Even though I had my seat belt on, I would have hit at least the steering wheel. I got a brush burn on my arms from the airbag inflation but that was my only injury.

As stated above, no matter how "soft" you make the glare shield, your head is going to dissipate some serious energy on it if it hits, and regardless, I think you will be hurt. Better to let an airbag slow you down first.

speaking of Harrison Ford...

Why is a golf course the best place to crash land an a/c?
No,

It's because there's always a doctor nearby.

Protecting myself from impact with the instrument panel is a priority for me, especially since I am now on anticoagulants which could make any head bump a potentially serious event. In my mind, the foremost priority is to keep my head from ever hitting the glare shield in the first place, whatever edge protection it might have. I use a combination of strategies: First, distance from the panel - I am 6'3" and installed AntiSplat's Almost an RV 14 mod in my 6A. Aside from making the plane much more comfortable and less cramped for my long arms, it also has the effect of moving my head back about 6" further than the stock position. From what I have read the PT-22 has a VERY tight rear cockpit, with very little distance between the pilot and the panel. Second, restraint - like everybody else here I have shoulder harness, and keep them snugged down for all flights. Again, my second hand info is that PT-22's do normally have shoulder harness. Lastly, if the above measure fail, my third line of defence is my helmet - I wear a surplus HGU-55 and love it. I look like a goof, but the bump lid gives me a little more protection from hard objects in the cockpit in the event of an unfortunate incident, and most certainly provides an increased level of protection from laceration. I haven't seen any info on what Mr. Ford was wearing re: headgear. Head contact with panel, knobs, etc has been identified as the biggest single cause of mortality in what would otherwise be survivable aircraft accidents. Preventing that contact, and protecting myself from it if that isn't possible have been my priorities, in that order.

Edit: Reading this back, I realize it comes off like a lecture. It's not intended that way; just intended to summarize my approach to this issue, which I think is a critical safety factor. I don't intend to present myself as being any kind of expert; so many others on this forum have so much more knowledge than I do. I have just read quite a bit and thought quite a bit about this particular issue. Just my .02!

Last edited:
Way back many years ago :) during primary instruction, my instructor emphasized that during a crash landing, if at all possible, put something between your head and the glareshield (and instruct passengers to do the same)...cushions from the back seat, jackets, whatever is handy...even your arm if you have nothing else.

I doubt Ford had time to really do anything like this given his altitude, but I've always remembered that bit of advice.

(I also recall reading, maybe from a link provided here, about *which* arm or hand to use to protect your head during a crash landing, from somebody who went through an airline's safety training course...your *non*-dominant hand should be the one on top of your head in the "crash position" in an airliner, so that your *dominant* hand still works if something breaks the one protecting your head. I presume the same advice would apply here...)

The large-scale antique model airplane company, Proctor Enterprises, sells some cockpit trim that would be suitable for some things - I'm thinking more for edges of things to the side than right in front of you.

The small product is p/n 201 for a 12" length, and 201-2 for a 24" length. It's .27" diameter and .335" wide.

The larger version is p/n 201A for the 12" length, 201A-2 for the 24" length, and is .300 diameter and .355 wide.

Proctor is at this link.

I don't have any personal connection to the company, I merely have an old catalog handy and noticed this one day.

Dave

A guy once avoided this in a crash with one of these.

nfl_mj_cheese-bruno_576.jpg

This has actually happened more than once.

Alternately, I suppose, you could try a set of Vikings horns.

Ideas

I know that in many race cars, they have a device that hooks to the back of the helmet that limits the fore/aft travel of the head in the event of a crash. maybe we could adapt something like that to our use?

Or/also, how about putting a 'real' round head guard at the top of the instrument panel. Something like a three inch diameter soft and malleable rolled aluminum piece that is attached well to the top of the edge of the panel and the panel itself. Use some kind of medium density foam inside of the rolled aluminum piece. Idea here is to try to keep the aluminum from splitting and causing lacerations when the head hits it and allow for some 'give' without cutting.

This stuff is probably very technical but I'll bet that there is talent here on the VAF with expertise in these forms of injury mitigation. What say you?

I doubt seriously that that old airplane had shoulder harnesses either...good protection.

Best,

Every PT-22 I've ever seen had shoulder harnesses. Someone may correct me but I'm pretty sure they were original. It IS as open cockpit airplane after all...

I used a black pinch-welt I chose from McMaster. It's about 3/8" thick at its thickest, and also has a 1/4"-ish tube grafted on one side. I bought it to test as a canopy sealer, but decided not to use it there. I realised the piece I had was exactly long enough for the glareshield and used it there instead. With the tube up, it forms a nice edge for the piece of thin automotive carpet that I cut to fit the top of the dash. I haven't even glued the carpet in, it fits snugly between the welt and the windshield-to-top-skin joint.

split alum tubing

start by splitting an alum tube, 5052 works well, and form it around the edge. then add plastic cushion as needed.

split aluminum tubing

start by splitting an alum tube, 5052 works well, and form it around the edge. then add plastic cushion as needed.
Anyone have a good trick to split this aluminum tubing? Tried the dremel with a cutoff wheel, and it just doesn't feel right. There must be a better way that I'm missing. Thanks!

Anyone have a good trick to split this aluminum tubing? Tried the dremel with a cutoff wheel, and it just doesn't feel right. There must be a better way that I'm missing. Thanks!

Cutting wheel chucked up in drill press lined up with a slot in a block of wood. Bore hole through the wood to guide the tubing through. I have plenty of pictures on Photobuket:mad:

Harbor freight cutting wheel = $5. original idea from Kevin Horton. fits easily. I added some goop adhesive to retain but may not be needed.

100_4777_zpsop69znqn.jpg

100_4781_zps8nzvqqgv.jpg

Last edited:
Back