What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Bad Lands Sept 6,7,8

Jaypratt

Well Known Member
Mentor
Vettermans Bad Lands Fly-In a Month away!!!
September 6,7,8, 2013
Hot Springs, South Dakota KHSR

Larry is getting the hotels lined up and the Bad Lands bus tour organized.
Everyone that can, start thinking about going.
This year will be a little different.
Bus tour throught the Bad Lands will be a treat, seeing it up close on ground level.

Who is going ?
You have to register, Call Larry to let him know how many dinners to have,. 605 890 0525

Last edited:
I'm in!

Jay,
After talking to you and others that have attended in the past, Malinda and I are making plans for the trip.

I flew right over Hot Springs today - beautiful country! I had an eight plus hour day, so didn't stop to harass Larry. Wish we could make it, but I've just been away from our house build too much - need to spend some time in Carson City to make sure our contractor is doing it right!

I'm in!

Carrie and I will be bringing the 4 this year. Can't wait for another wonderful shin dig. See you all in a month!

Last edited:
Wife and I are currently planning on attending, we had a great time 2 years ago when we went.

Last year I was going to bring my prop balance stuff but ended up not being able to make it. If there's any interest I'll bring it this year.

Last edited:
Update from Larry....

"Doug, got the motel info today so would you please add this to the fly in post. Thanks LV

Stay USA rate is $74.00 per nite and Budget Host is $45.00 single and $50.00 double. Both motels have continental breakfast. The buses will pick you up or drop you off at both motels.

Sent from my iPad"

Prop

Walt,

I would LOVE to get the prop balanced on the 4. Don't know if I have time to make it down there before the fly-in. So if you do decide to bring your equipment, you will have at least one customer!

Booked my room this morning! Can't wait!

Do we need to call Clint or Larry for a head count?
Also is there a activities list?

we're thinking of coming down after work on friday, but hate to miss something fun if we're late.

Do we need to call Clint or Larry for a head count?
Also is there a activities list?

we're thinking of coming down after work on friday, but hate to miss something fun if we're late.
From yesterday's VAF front page:
Badlands Fly-In 9/6-9/8
(from Larry) The badlands flyin is scheduled for Sept 6-7-8 this year. We will have the burger burn at my hangar on fri eve. and the adult beverage cooler will be well stocked. This year you will have a choice of doing the aerial tour of the Black Hills, or fly over to Wall SD, get on a bus and do a 5 to 6 hour ground tour of the Badlands. I am working on motel rates and will have that information in a short time, but as in the past we will plan on staying at USA Stay 605 745 4411 or the Budget Host Motel 605 745 3130. Saturday evening meal will be at the Allen Ranch. There will be a registration fee to cover transportation, meals, and the Badland tour. As in the past, bring your own tie downs ie. claw type as the soil is very hard and screw in types do not work well. To make planning this event easier, we are requesting that you call us so we can plan for enough transportation, food and beverage. Larry Vetterman 605 745 5932, Clint Busenitz 605 891 1290. We will post more information as we get closer to the event. (thread)

missed that on the front page.

thanks for adding it to the thread people are probably looking at also.

We're in

Susan and I are planning on attending. It doesn't look like Mt. Rushmore is on the agenda. My wife would really like to see the monument. Is it a good aerial tour or is there another way to work it in?

BTW. What is the airport identifier of the fly-in?

Susan and I are planning on attending. It doesn't look like Mt. Rushmore is on the agenda. My wife would really like to see the monument. Is it a good aerial tour or is there another way to work it in?

KHSR blah, blah, blah

Hope to come

The wife and I hope to come down Friday afternoon from Missoula. Just got a room at USA Stay for Friday and Saturday night. The wife may have to work until 3:20 so we'll launch as soon as we can, hopefully get there before the beer is gone. Wait a minute, we'll bring some of our own from Big Sky Brewery just in case. If there are requests for Big Sky beers, I will have a lot of room in my -10 :)

Last edited:

I talked with Larry on the phone Monday about our interest in a Mount Rushmore tour. Larry informed me he knows someone to contact about a van tour of Mount Rushmore for us if we arrive early. We are currently planning to try and arrive on Thursday and hope to take this tour a day earlier than Vetterman's planned activities start on Friday. Perhaps if you and/or others could make it out Thursday we could all go on the tour Thursday. If anyone is interested in this perhaps calling Larry and letting him know would be a start.

Ann and I will be there for the third time. Hope the bus tour down in the Badlands out of Wall will make this the best time ever.

Bad Lands 2013

Register !!!

Call Larry and give him a head count. How many steaks and how many fish.
How many nights?
605 890 0525

The kings are booked up at Budget Host, he said Texans booked them up early...**** Texans:)

2 Rooms reserved for Kris & I plus 2 friends coming also in their Rans S-7. Not sure what time Kris and I will get there she has to work until 4 on Friday. But we'll be there both nights hopefully.

Walt are you still thinking of doing any prop balancing? price?

Walt are you still thinking of doing any prop balancing? price?

Yes, I plan to be there Fri afternoon (1-2pm) and will do as many as I can (takes about an hour each if the top cowl is already off). Could probably do a few on Sun before we leave if necessary. Special "Vetterman" Price $150 (normally $195). Owner does all cowl RR (if you have a plenum that generally needs to come off as wel).

This is for Lycoming powered RV's or similar only.

Yes, I plan to be there Fri afternoon (1-2pm) and will do as many as I can (takes about an hour each if the top cowl is already off). Could probably do a few on Sun before we leave if necessary. Special "Vetterman" Price $150 (normally $195). Owner does all cowl RR (if you have a plenum that generally needs to come off as wel).

This is for Lycoming powered RV's or similar only.

Pencil me in...we'll be too late for friday, but would like to have mine redone. I had my prop balance a couple years ago and it's probably ok. But when I broke my exhaust and everything shook loose, things feel different.

Last edited:
Just got off the phone with Larry. His biggest fear is someone showing up without registering only to find no steak or tour space.

SO if you think you're going call him ASAP.

Doing What...?

My wife would like some clues regarding activities and what to bring. I can't answer 'em, since we've not been to Larry's to-do, and earlier year threads don't help much. I'm looking forward to the get-together and hangar flying, but my right-seater is wondering what's happening.

Time leading up to Saturday's fly-out seems unstructured. What goes on Friday? Hang around KHSR and conviviate? Hide in the hotel air conditioning (Friday will be hot) all day and surface for meals? Maybe a good centerpoint for planning our whereabouts is asking, "Where's the beer going to be?" (Remember, no drinking on final.)

Should we bring collapsible chairs?

Lunches during Badlands tour?

What else to keep an aviation-isn't-her-thing 1st Officer occupied?

John Siebold

My wife would like some clues regarding activities ....... wondering what's happening.

Should we bring collapsible chairs?

Lunches during Badlands tour?

What else to keep an aviation-isn't-her-thing 1st Officer occupied?

John Siebold

I have some friends flying their Rans S-7 there tomorrow. I think they are meeting others at the motel on Friday 8am for a car trip to MT Rushmore area.

We're not getting there until later Friday(hope the T-storms hold off). then Saturday, plan on flying the Rushmore, Devils Tower loop. We're skipping the Badlands tour as we've driven through before. I might get my prop balanced if the timing works out with Walt. Then the dinner later Saturday. Other than that I don't know either.

If all else fails...She can hang out with my "also-wondering wife". I bringing a couple chairs on the off chance we're hanging at the airport for any length of time. She'll bring a book.

Folks, there are numerous things to do in the HSR area. Go to Wall !
Have lunch in RAP ! Heck, Have lunch at Wooly's and go to the Mamoth Dig one block away. If you can mooch a car or a ride, Wind Cave is close by.
There are no "formal" plans for Thursday.
We will most likely, (the Thursday arrivals) have dinner together at Wooly"s, then rest up for story telling on Fri, and Sat.

If anyone gets bored, they can help polish 007.

Got to sign off. Departing at 1100.

Joel

Got here!

One point two hours from Denver (CO12)
My traffic at HSR was a Canada RV7 and a Texas RV9. Seems fitting.
Larry met us and parked me in my usual place. Then it was off to the hanger for a hot dog, prepared by Clint, followed by an adult malt beverage.
We are now at the hotels preparing our most truthful stories for embelishment at Woolly's at 1730. You folks are missing out.
Weather is clear and hot.
Remember, no matter where you live, if you have an RV, you can be here in time for the hanger party tomorrow evening.

Just say'n.

Joel

We're on our way....ok maybe not yet, but plan on a 3:30 departure tomorrow from KHLN 2.2hr flight. Should make it for burger burn.

Planning to go...

We are planning to launch by 4 Friday, should arrive by 7pm. My wife just asked me "what are we going to do?" I told her about the planned activities, she informed me that she would like to walk somewhere, be active rather than spend the whole time sitting around or riding on a bus. We will play it by ear, but if anyone else wants an "active" activity (or knows of one), let me know. I would be happy to rent a car if we need to drive somewhere for such an activity.

We are departing as a 4 ship from 52F, goal is 0700 wheels up. Fuel stop at CBK, we are usually on 122.75.

We're stopping at 2O8, Ann needs a short first leg and fuel is $4.75.

Jay & Carol are meeting us there.

We are planning to launch by 4 Friday, should arrive by 7pm. My wife just asked me "what are we going to do?" I told her about the planned activities, she informed me that she would like to walk somewhere, be active rather than spend the whole time sitting around or riding on a bus. We will play it by ear, but if anyone else wants an "active" activity (or knows of one), let me know. I would be happy to rent a car if we need to drive somewhere for such an activity.

We're in for the "Active" tour. well reasonably so anyway. It's supposed to be HOT. Friends, Neil and Tracy are there already and said bring shorts.

Same with my wife

My wife also want to do something active - did anybody say shopping! But seriously, she wasn't crazy about the idea of a long bus tour of the Badlands. I called Larry and he said it wasn't all just sitting on a bus - walking around at various locations and a long lunch break.

We plan to be in the air at 0700 or shortly after. Departing KSET, St Charles county, with a planned fuel and rest stop at KSCB, Scribner, Neb. Should arrive shortly after noon.
First XC in the 7A. Looking forward to putting faces to names.

Rich and Gloria Emery
St Peters, Mo

Closes rent a car is 30 miles away and they wont bring it to the airport, I checked earlier in the week. Sounds like some of the wives have the same concern. I'm always game for staying busy. :)

Last edited:
Wx?

The wx forecast between us and HSR is looking a little ugly, I will monitor it all day. Hopefully it will not prevent us from taking off around 4.

Bryan....I'm looking at the same. I told Kris the earlier she is off the better. I'm flying to Helena(KHLN) and picking her up there, hoping to cut 45minutes off our start time. Still going to be near 3:30 for launch.

If it's like yesterday though, there will be a window for us to dash through I think. Hot Springs is calling for T-storms about the time we'll get there...lovely.

I'll be in touch to let you know how it looks from Helena, Bozeman, livingston. later

Dodging

I flew over Townsend on my way back from Billings yesterday, was able to fly north of the tstorm line, then dart through a good gap to get to Missoula. It was never very rough. If it's scattered enough like that, we might still go, but if it's more solid, I'll probably spare my wife the bumpy ride and stay home. As it is, we'll be arriving around sunset, so I don't want to have to do a bunch of dodging and arrive much later.

We made it

a8254da23dd07c2e7d766847cea44242_zps44b81608.jpg

We got up before the sun. Beautiful watching it come alive
8df1f62973782aa15491930f1945eaab_zps28386d69.jpg

Skirted a little weather
f1cf402af503d8549573ea91270417f9_zpsf4dcda82.jpg

Watched a hornets nest of RVs circle as we arrived to Devils Tower. They headed to Wall. We went to Spearfish for breakfast with friends.
a13f65604de25780fe7eda7302dfd1a7_zps8aeba710.jpg

Home

Larry, Kathy, Clint, and company did it again!!! Super Fun Bad Lands Fly-In Fly-In

I just called Larry, he is laying back watching the tube. Everyone has left, and hopfully will start cking in here soon. With trip reports, picture, and safe arrivall reports.
Carol and I had a bit of scud but managed to avoid it, and had a smooth one stop trip home to Hicks airfield T67, at 9500 ft.

How did I miss Brian Carol????????

Thanks for all your effort

Last edited:
Back