What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Elevator TE Rivet Length

RobB52

When riveting the TE of the trim tab, it appeared to me the specified rivets were too long. The shop head of the "double flush" set seemed to overfill the dimple. I switched to a shorter rivet and had more of the "acorn" look the plans show. I am now ready to rivet the TE of the elevators and was curious if anyone else seemed to have this issue with specified rivets. (426-4 vs 426-3.5 I think, plans not with me at work). If you used the rivets called out in the plans, does the shop head of your double flush rivets sit above the skin level?

Rob

Consider the rivet call outs in the plans to be an estimate of correct length. Try one, if it works continue, if not use a longer or shorter one to get the results that you want. The minimum standards for shop heads are given in the documentation and if you meet the criteria it does not matter which rivet you use.

Rivet length

I did mine as per the plans and I am very pleased with the results. Now, if only Vans would release the fuselage kit:)

Back