What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Getting ready to start RV-7 Slow build wings. Need input

flyabq

Hello,
I am getting ready to start some slow build 7 wings. The input that I am looking for is what do you wish you had done when you were building the wings. i.e. I wish I had added this lightning hole for future wiring, or I wish I had run the wiring for the landing lights before I closed up the wing. etc. I look forward to your input and can't wait to get this beauty finished and flying.

7&8.

As the 7 and 8 wings are now the same. I wish I would have put our electrical conduit a little further aft of the main spare. We put it about an inch behind the spare and that was good when we started the build, but when we got to the point of installing the A.P. servos it was a little close to the roll servo leaver arm. I would have moved the conduit to the rear another inch if I had know.
Other than that you have a very good wing to build and fly, get going.
Yours, R.E.A. III # 80888

Run your electrical conduit all the way to the wingtip, install a couple spare wires for future use, or leave a length of string or twine for a pull-string to drag more wire in for possible future use.

7 wing

I wish I had run the plumbing near the conduit location. That would keep it away from the AP servo and make an eeasier entrance to the fuse to the ADAHRS located aft. I doubt very many out the ADAHRS up front like old school instruments anymore.

I second Wirejock, I ended up routing my AOA and Pitot plumbing just behind the electrical conduit. This worked out much better exiting the pitot mast, clearing the bellcrank, and cleanly entering the fuselage.

I wish I had run the plumbing near the conduit location. That would keep it away from the AP servo and make an eeasier entrance to the fuse to the ADAHRS located aft. I doubt very many out the ADAHRS up front like old school instruments anymore.

I second Wirejock, I ended up routing my AOA and Pitot plumbing just behind the electrical conduit. This worked out much better exiting the pitot mast, clearing the bellcrank, and cleanly entering the fuselage.

Well darn it, now I wish I had done this too, makes way more sense.

1. I wished I had installed the needed bushing where my wire for the left fuel sender passes through the spar BEFORE putting the fuel tank on. That way you can enlarge the hole ever so slightly and get the proper bushing. This is not needed if you don't install a flop tube.

2. I also wished I had hired out the rib deburring. :D

Last edited:
Lots said about conduit runs, I can only add to say make them BIG conduit, like 5/8” or so. Location I like is between the first & second lightning hole just below the top skin.
Nearly forgot, angle the conduit run down as you get to the inboard rib as you want the wires to penetrate thru the fuselage below the seat floor pan.

Last edited:
Welcome to VAF

Jeremy, welcome aboard the good ship VAF:D

Think about all the things that get installed in a wing-----then plan for a few new ones that could be developed before you get done.

A/P servo.

Leading edge landing lights.

AOA.

Heated pitot.

Wingtip antennas.

Wingtip mounted magnetometer.

Wingtip mounted extra fuel.

A few photographs on this thread would be worth "a thousand words" to those of us who are working on the wings. :)

If your installing heated pitot, be sure and leave a ?service loop?. This was some good advice given by an AP friend. It would stink if you had to de skin part of the wing to service the heater element or pitot mast.

Just finished my wings (minus the wingtips). Trying to recall all my mishaps and pitfalls. Some things I can think of:

1. Basic workmanship. Measure twice before you drill still just as important as when doing the empennage, otherwise you'll end up with this:

IMG_1388-S.jpg

...or this:

IMG_0049-S.jpg

2. Be extra careful whenever you drill, rivet, touch, or look at the main spars, otherwise you'll end up with this:

IMG_1299-S.jpg

3. Take your time with the pro-seal and don't worry about using too much. Too much is better than too little. Luckily I had no leaks around rivets, but I neglected to coat all the electrical connections to the capacitive fuel sender plates, and I ended up with small leaks through these wires, through the BNC connectors!

IMG_0022-S.jpg

4. Be careful when deburring the large sheet metal skins. Don't use a grinder wheel:

IMG_0312-S.jpg

5. Think about how you'll run the pitot lines through the bellcrank area. I ended up using a bracket like some other builders have done. This was after trying about three different designs:

IMG_0679-S.jpg

6. Not sure what advice to give to end up with a straight aileron. I did everything according to the plans and still ended up with about 1/4 inch of twist on each:

IMG_0629-S.jpg

Keep the work surface flatter than leveler than I did?

7. Deburring/smoothing out the inside of the aileron counterweight tubes after drilling. I wrapped some sand paper onto the end of a dowel and used that:

IMG_0545-S.jpg

Used a similar tool to smooth out the inside of the bellcrank parts so the bolts fit through.

8. If you're going to go with the duckworks leading edge landing lights, cut those holes before riveting the leading edge to the spar. They make it easier to reach a few of the rib-to-spar rivets. I posted a write-up on my experiences riveting the leading edge ribs here: http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=156528

If you install the stall warner mount it before you install the leading edge on the wing. I still don't know how the heck I'm going to get that one done...

Smoke Tank

I wish I had closed off the area under one wing walk to use as a smoke oil tank. I've seen others do this and it holds ~ 8 gal. It's SO much nicer and cleaner (safer?) to have smoke oil outside of the cockpit.

To take it a bit further, I would also seal the outer leading edge to allow the full leading edge to hold fuel. 95% of the time I never near this, but there are some times that it would be nice to have. It doesn't add much extra weight (empty) and would be there when I wanted to use it. I realize this is not for everyone, but since you asked...

Smoke Oil

I wish I had closed off the area under one wing walk to use as a smoke oil tank. I've seen others do this and it holds ~ 8 gal. It's SO much nicer and cleaner (safer?) to have smoke oil outside of the cockpit.

To take it a bit further, I would also seal the outer leading edge to allow the full leading edge to hold fuel. 95% of the time I never near this, but there are some times that it would be nice to have. It doesn't add much extra weight (empty) and would be there when I wanted to use it. I realize this is not for everyone, but since you asked...

So would you then install a smoke pump in that bay?Also how much of the plumbing? I am not doing smoke to start with, however I Love the idea down the road.

So would you then install a smoke pump in that bay?Also how much of the plumbing? I am not doing smoke to start with, however I Love the idea down the road.

Sorry for the slow response... Oshkosh required my presence.

No, I would not install the smoke pump in the bay. I would probably put the pump on the firewall, but I really haven't given that part much thought. I just know that I have a tank in my baggage compartment now and it's a pain to fill and messy.

If you think you want smoke down the road then I would definitely seal off the area under the wing walk, add a flange for a fuel cap, add AN fittings in the wing root, and add a vent line. This should add minimal weight (when empty) and would be easy to complete the plumbing later without major effort. You could also use the tank for a few extra gallons of fuel instead of smoke oil if you decided not to go the smoke route.

Back