Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 11-03-2014, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel View Post
There's something I'm not understanding here. I just got a new medical a few months ago and after folding twice, it fits in the slot in my wallet right behind my pilot certificate like it always has.

What am I missing?
+3. I don't understand the issue either.
RV-7, SOLD
Old 11-21-2014, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flightlogic View Post
I have to jump in once more here... and from experience, not from the theoretical constitutional lawyer perspective.
Yes, you can remain silent. And by doing so, you create an adversarial situation. I am not suggesting that you incriminate yourself. Just answer their simple questions. If it goes beyond that, you might want to advise them you are done conversing. Trust me, the FAA will look at you in a more cooperative, and constructive light... if you are reasonable. If you play lawyer right off the bat, you will then be paying twice. Once for their lawyers and again for yours.
(you don't have anything to hide..... correct?)
I answer no questions that are not *required* to be answered, regardless of the agency (and *particularly* with police agencies). You're required to show airworthiness, registration, license, medical and photo id, and W&B. That's all I'd show, and I'd answer no questions, politely, and refuse to allow access to the interior of the plane (i.e., I don't consent to searches). You can do this politely, and still make the point that you're exercising your rights while obeying the law.

When it comes to any LE agency...they get ONLY what is required (license, passport, whatever it is), and answers ONLY to questions that are required to be answered (purpose of travel when re-entering the country, for example). I don't talk to police when I'm the subject of any investigation, even a traffic stop. I don't engage in the "where are you going? where have you been?" sorts of interaction. Nothing. And under NO circumstances do I EVER consent to a search. ((ETA: This statement doesn't make sense after it was edited by a mod...I'll rephrase) And yes, the TSA nonsense for commercial flights cheeses me off...just security theater. Another reason I LOVE my RV ).

They're not your friends, they're not there to "help you out", they're there to find a reason to detain and/or arrest you.

IANAL, but I do know that your refusal to answer questions CANNOT be used to "create" reasonable suspicion. You are exercising your Constitutional rights. They may not like it, but that's just too bad.

Quote:
Bear in mind, nearly everything we possibly do these days is caught on camera.. or recorded from the the radio.
I'd turn a cellphone camera on the instant someone approached me and said "I'm from..."

Last edited by RV7A Flyer : 11-21-2014 at 10:00 PM. Reason: Removed expletives
Old 11-21-2014, 03:28 PM

Default Ramp Check

I was ramp checked at The Air Force Museum in Dayton, Oh.. I was in my L-19 and the inspector walked up to my airplane and ask for the paper work. I asked him for his 110A or his badge and he didn't have one. I told him to get away from my airplane, as far as I was concerned he was a terrorist. His supervisor was about 10 ft. behind him. If you have someone with proper credentials I will show them to that inspector. ALWAYS, ALWAYS ASK FOR AN I.D. This worked out well and I bet that new inspector never forgets to show his identification.
RV6A owner
L19 sold
Dues paid 2015,16,17
Old 11-21-2014, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdog View Post
I was ramp checked at The Air Force Museum in Dayton, Oh.. I was in my L-19 and the inspector walked up to my airplane and ask for the paper work. I asked him for his 110A or his badge and he didn't have one. I told him to get away from my airplane, as far as I was concerned he was a terrorist. His supervisor was about 10 ft. behind him. If you have someone with proper credentials I will show them to that inspector. ALWAYS, ALWAYS ASK FOR AN I.D. This worked out well and I bet that new inspector never forgets to show his identification.
Report him at 866/GA-SECURE. Sounds like "suspicious" activity to me.

Last edited by Low Pass : 11-21-2014 at 03:36 PM.
Old 11-21-2014, 06:20 PM

All you need in the plane is AROW.
Airworthiness
Registration
Operating Limitations
Weight and balance

All you need as Pilot is your license.

They can ask for what they want, but you aren't required to carry them.

DG-800S Sailplane
QB RV-8 -- Working on the canopy and wiring
84CX Reserved
Old 11-21-2014, 08:46 PM

Default PLUS......

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdeerinck View Post
All you need in the plane is AROW.
Airworthiness
Registration
Operating Limitations
Weight and balance

All you need as Pilot is your license, a photo ID, and current medical if required.

They can ask for what they want, but you aren't required to carry them.
A couple of additional items.
<rvmel(at)icloud.com>
North Texas (8TA5)
RV-6 Flying since 1993, 172hp O-320, 3-Blade Catto (since 2003)
Legend Cub purchased 12/2017
FRIEND of the RV-1
Eagle's Nest Mentor
Recipient of Wright Brothers "Master Pilot" Award

Last edited by Mel : 11-22-2014 at 08:10 AM.
Old 04-06-2015, 08:56 PM

And (since this IS a Vans Forum) THE OPERATING LIMITATIONS...which I need to find a good place to stash them in the aircraft.
Old 04-06-2015, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by b432291 View Post
And (since this IS a Vans Forum) THE OPERATING LIMITATIONS...which I need to find a good place to stash them in the aircraft.
Mine live in a tyvek envelope under the seat cushion.
2019(?) RV-10
Old 12-18-2017, 06:02 PM

Default Basic Med

Now that we have a Basic Med and the copy is in your logbook, I assume we don't need to keep that in the aircraft.
Jerry
Murphy Super Rebel, building
Vans, next build
Old 12-19-2017, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR2500 View Post
Now that we have a Basic Med and the copy is in your logbook, I assume we don't need to keep that in the aircraft.
Jerry
I keep an electronic copy of those documents in my iPhone.
Dues contributor since 2007

Learn from the mistakes of others. You won't live long enough to make all of them yourself...Anonymous