Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 07-12-2018, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N941WR View Post
Here is one of my favorite series of pictures from my build. My wife is helping inventory the fuselage kit.

The big box arrives:

(Click to enlarge)

The sarcophagus is opened

Almost finished unpacking and inventorying:

(Click to enlarge)

The other kits are packed with similar care and I was stunned that nothing was damaged in shipping. (Your millage may vary.)
Hi Bill,

From the photos it looks like most of the kit is either centre punched or pilot drilled? Was that a standard kit or quick build? I assumed that the standard kits would not be pre-drilled or centre punched and i would pitch in all the fastners myself?
Old 07-12-2018, 11:36 AM

The standard kit is all match hole cut and can be cleco'd together out of the box (that still leaves final drilling, deburring, dimpling, priming and riveting).

The quick build has the wing and fuselage 75-80% assembled.
Old 07-12-2018, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamBam49 View Post
Hi Bill,

From the photos it looks like most of the kit is either centre punched or pilot drilled? Was that a standard kit or quick build? I assumed that the standard kits would not be pre-drilled or centre punched and i would pitch in all the fastners myself?
As mentioned above, this is the standard kit and almost all the holes are prepunched and line up perfectly.

No jigging is required; however, you will need to finish drill them to the proper size.

When I built my wings, they had a half a string's width of twist over their entire length. Just amazing!

(Click to enlarge)

One thing to keep in mind, being in UK, all the fittings, fasteners, measurements, etc. are in SAE, not metric. This will probably require you to purchase a new set of hand tools.
Build the plane you want, not the plane others want you to build!
SC86 - Easley, SC
www.repucci.com/bill/baf.html

Last edited by N941WR : 07-12-2018 at 07:02 PM.
Old 07-13-2018, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N941WR View Post
As mentioned above, this is the standard kit and almost all the holes are prepunched and line up perfectly.

No jigging is required; however, you will need to finish drill them to the proper size.

When I built my wings, they had a half a string's width of twist over their entire length. Just amazing!

(Click to enlarge)

One thing to keep in mind, being in UK, all the fittings, fasteners, measurements, etc. are in SAE, not metric. This will probably require you to purchase a new set of hand tools.
Hi Bill,

thanks for the heads up, I presumed everything would be SAE, luckily I'm in aviation in the UK looking after large aircraft, so I'm fully tooled up. are all the fasteners all dimpled rather than countersunk?
Old 07-13-2018, 06:20 AM

Default Better now.

The 8 kits are a lot better now than they were in the early years before everything got match-holed. The way we did it turned out to be the right way for us. Get the tail kit on order. Buy a rivet gun, a good small drill, a few bucking bars. some Clecos and cleco plyers and get started. You can be learning and buy anything you need as you go. It will take enough time to put the tail kit together, but by the time you get that done you will have a pretty good idea what you will want from then on or be able to pick it up on the fly. Go slow at first and study every thing you can about the build, buy the time you get to the wings you will be off and running. We were lucky to have Bob Avery close to us for tools as we wanted. You may need to build in a little more lead time for your ordering. Doing it the old hard way takes more time, but it is a lot more rewording if you do it right and pay attention to all the details.
Pull the trigger and see where it goes, that first step is really the hardest one.
Yours, R.E.A. III # 80888
Old 07-13-2018, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamBam49 View Post
Hi Bill,

. are all the fasteners all dimpled rather than countersunk?
As far as flush rivets are concerned ribs to skin are both dimpled . Skin to longerons and other thick substructure skin is dimpled and thicker is drilled out countersunk to nest.
Raidial RV-8R Ephanage Done, Wings Done, Fuselage underway
Old 07-14-2018, 12:10 PM

Lots of good advice here, and there will be a lot more good advice to follow. Some general questions to ponder. Do you like building? I mean... do you really REALLY like building? As a quickbuilder, I wanted the advantage of having the factory set the standard for me and give me a large head start. As I've gotten better at building there are a few things that I may have done differently from the factory, but overall their workmanship is excellent. Slow build is a long, very big commitment. The empennage is always the litmus test; if that was fun and successful, you'll probably love doing it all yourself. The building process becomes more difficult as you progress; more jigsaw puzzly, if that's a word. I'm getting closer... and it's getting harder. I will persevere, and it will fly... but there are those days when I can feel pretty overwhelmed by it all. So I limit my scope, go back to just the next step and keep progressing.
RV-8 #83507 - empennage complete (except fiberglass)
QB wings & fuselage work continues
N657AR reserved
Builder websites:
http://goatflieg.blogspot.com/
http://www.mykitlog.com/goatflieg/
YouTube Channel:
https://www.youtube.com/user/goatflieg
Dues paid for 2018... extra payment included for psychological therapeutic services rendered.

Have you ever gotten the feeling you were smarter than you could ever prove?