What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

How difficult to swap out TruTrack AP servos for Garmin?

David Carter

Well Known Member
Patron
Recently purchased my 7A with the TruTrack Vizion 385 installed. I'm in the process of adding 2 Garmin G5's and a GMU 11 magnetometer. (Plane has no AI or DG today.)

As I'm getting into the details of connecting the G5's, I have found that the existing GPSMAP 496 can feed track data to both the G5 & the TruTrack, but the G5 & the TruTrack can't talk to each other.

In a year or two, I plan to move to a G3x Touch all-Garmin solution, and am wondering if I should go ahead & swap out the AP now.

Pros:
- integration between G5 & AP
- more intuitive AP control panel
- build the wiring harness once, not twice. CAN bus from G5<->GSA28<->GMU11

Cons:
- more $ now, but will spend eventually anyway
- panel work to replace the TruTrack with the Garmin AP control head
- unknown difficulty in retrofitting the AP servos

Anyone gone through this process before?

Thanks!

David,
You are going to need to run new harnesses to the servos as the wiring is completely different. The servo mounts will work fine, and so should the pushrods. The servo mounts will probably have to be modified slightly to clear a couple parts of the Garmin servos but a pencil grinder will take care of that. I swapped TruTrak for Garmin and that's what I did. As far as the panel work, you are going to install a new EFIS system so providing a place for a Garmin GMC-307 or -507 will be easy.

Mike - thanks for the info, very helpful.

Sounds like the servos should be no problem.

I will need to figure out a place to mount the GMC 507 control head on the existing panel; not planning to do the full panel re-do with G3X for a year or more.

Back