What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Cabin top

dspender

Well Known Member
Overhead console is attached. Have some attached the cabin top to the fuselage with screws/bolts and lords adhesive and then fiberglass or just screw's and bolts and fiberglass?

Just by the plans

I did not use any adhesive. Screws and bolts, then inject flox under the door edges and shape it to a filet. Then of course the pulled rivets along the sides. Only been flying for a year, but no signs of cracking or anything. Don't know of any builders that used lords on it.... Windows yes. Probably are some that have that I have not seen

While I used Lord's on the windows, I mounted the cabin cover per plans. There are enough fasteners, there is no reason to adhesive.

Bob

After the top is installed you can cover the seam with a couple of layers of cloth all the way around. It will hide the rivets and seams.

Thanks to all. Another question. I have glassed the overhead console onto the cabin top. However I neglected to install the nutplates in the spaces where the aluminum covers install. My squeezer yokes are very tight and in several locations I have difficulty or impossibility to keep the inside part of the yoke perpendicular to the shop head and the rivet will not squeeze correctly to hold the nutplate in place. I believe I either need another yoke that will fit in this place or another method rather than rivets to hold the nutplates.

You know I think I'm learning as I do this project, able to think out problems and then I didn't even think about pull rivets. So obvious.

Would like some guidance on comparable pull rivets. Again, this is to attach nutplates to the Aerosport overhead console. I have used some AN426 3-4, but need to use pull rivets in some locations. I have some MK319-BS from VAn's. Are these a comparable length and size (they look like they may be) or should I get another rivet from VAn's?

Would like some guidance on comparable pull rivets. Again, this is to attach nutplates to the Aerosport overhead console. I have used some AN426 3-4, but need to use pull rivets in some locations. I have some MK319-BS from VAn's. Are these a comparable length and size (they look like they may be) or should I get another rivet from VAn's?

They should work. They aren't load bearing per se, all they really do is hold the nutplate in place until the screw tightens. Try one and see how it works.

IMO those rivets are really soft and I would not use them. All you need is for one of those platenuts to turn and pull through one day when you're removing the panel. You'll have lots of fun trying to get the screw out when it does :eek:.

I know exactly what you're talking about getting your squeezer in there in a couple of spots.

I've installed a handful of these consoles including on mounted cabin tops. I have lots of yokes and I'm thinking that I've used my 'no-hole' yoke for what you are doing. If you have one then give it a try as mine has a lower profile so it doesn't hit the inside of the cabin top.

Another option is to simply modify a flat die set. Just grind the flat of both dies down at the same angle. Tape the dies in your squeezer at the right angle(s) so they won't turn and this will off set the yoke so it doesn't hit. Set them aside when you are done and you'll use them down the road for something else. I have lots of modified dies.

I wouldn't use a gun unless you have a hammer head set that will lie inside of the flange on the console for the plate nuts. I've used my hammer head on these flanges before when showing others some different techniques and it will do the job just fine.

Good luck :).

They should work. They aren't load bearing per se, all they really do is hold the nutplate in place until the screw tightens. Try one and see how it works.

Last edited:
I riveted the nutplates with AN426 rivets. I used the no hole yoke. I should have thought ahead, placed those nutplates before attaching the console to the cabin top. Should have, should have. Unfortunately every time I deviate from Van's plans, the additional struggles I create for myself try to remove the pleasure of building. If I didn't have you folks to help me through those struggles, this project may be been earlier shelved unnecessarily.

Don't feel bad - I remembered the nutplates, but forgot to install the strut brackets before glassing in the console...that created a lot of fun...I originally thought I would leave the console unpainted, but after doing what was necessary for the brackets, decided that paint might be a good idea.

==dave==

Back