What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-7 firewall mounted oil cooler

Tbone

Well Known Member
Has anyone mounted their oil cooler on the firewall on their TD? I bought a RV10 oil cooler mount to try but there isn't enough room between it and the engine in my configuration to make it work. Has anyone used the ASIK mount listed on Aircraft Spruce? I may "roll my own" based on theirs. Any suggestions?

RV-7A Oil cooler on Firewall

Has anyone mounted their oil cooler on the firewall on their TD? I bought a RV10 oil cooler mount to try but there isn't enough room between it and the engine in my configuration to make it work. Has anyone used the ASIK mount listed on Aircraft Spruce? I may "roll my own" based on theirs. Any suggestions?

Not wanting a heavy oil cooler on the baffles behind cylinder #4, here's what I did on my last three RV's.

I basicly mounted the oil cooler on two trianglular mounts on the firewall. These were mounted on Rt angle bends against the firewall using AN3 hardware and nutplates, behind and below #3 cylinder. The oil cooler mounted to two Rt angle flanges on these parts, again using AN3 hardware and nutplates.

I then constructed a fiberglass plentum for the top of the oil cooler with a 3" hose to a cockpit operated air valve (because the plane was originally in New England). The cabin air source hole in the baffle behind #3 cylinder did have to be moved to implement the air valve.

The oil cooler air valve is 1/2 of a 3 inch diameter wood working Vac system air valve....

Oil%20Cooler%20Plentum%20on%20Oil%20Cooler1.jpg

Oil%20Cooler%20Plentum%20Out%20of%20Mold2.jpg

Oil%20Cooler%20Plentum%20Hose%20Neck2.jpg

OilCoolerAirValve3.jpg

OilCoolerAirValve2.jpg

Hope this helps....

Last edited:
Fred,
I like the idea and have the same oil cooler to install on mine. Your design is nearly the same idea that the ASIC system that is on Spruces site. Where did you get your shutter from? It looks like it is set up for an A model but may be able to concept for the -7, but will have to install on left side due to battery location. How does it cool?

RV-7A Firewall mounted oil cooler

Fred,
I like the idea and have the same oil cooler to install on mine. Your design is nearly the same idea that the ASIC system that is on Spruces site. Where did you get your shutter from? It looks like it is set up for an A model but may be able to concept for the -7, but will have to install on left side due to battery location. How does it cool?

My setup with a 3" hose to the oil cooler plenum cools my 180 HP IO-360 engine just fine. The air valve was purchased from a woodworking shop. It was used on the shop dust Vacuum system. It's called a Blast gate. I only used 1/2 of it... You can find it here at http://www.rockler.com/dust-collection/blast-gates ..... Or a 3" here http://www.tools-plus.com/woodstock-w1141.html?gclid=CJT_qp-V9MwCFRY8gQoda4INXw

Last edited:
Thread drift,
Looks like the rubber engine mount donuts need to be flip-flopped. Upper 'dense' donuts go on the aft side of the engine mount and the 'soft' donut goes between the mount and the engine. This upper configuration is how the lowers should be set up. Could be a little sagging down the road?

Last edited:
There has been much discussion re fire wall mounted oil coolers.The blast gate is a really great idea. My RV was built with the standard vans oil cooler and a 3 inch scat tube. I have a Sam James plenum and it was not even close to adequate cooling. My engine is 195 hp with oil piston oil squirters which adds to oil heating. I ended up modifying mine to a 4 inch scat tube and the largest oil cooler I could fit. It dropped the temp 20 degrees and is perfect now. It will get warm at lower air speeds and high AOA but it is fine now

Back