What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Andair electric fuel valve

fdeppieri

Hi all,

I wrote several mails to Andair trying to get more information about their electric duplex valve.
I never get any answers. Someone of you know more info about the specs of the item ?

Thanks a lot
Francesco

Use one from 70s-80s cheve suburban or pickup with dual tanks- new from gm or
Rockauto on net Tom Hankamp

Hi all,

I wrote several mails to Andair trying to get more information about their electric duplex valve.
I never get any answers. Someone of you know more info about the specs of the item ?

I believe it was built for an airship project and displayed at various shows a few years ago. Not sure what happened to the airship but it seems that the electric valve is no longer in their catalogue. If the order is for 50 it might be a different answer but I understand there is not sufficient volume to keep it as a stocked item.

I'm going to give a guess that Andair doesn't stock anything. Every post I read about them give a 2-6 week lead time on products. (At least that's what they will tell you, but reality will be longer than that).

I remember an AOG post where andair couldn't ship a replacement part for weeks and/or wanted him to ship his valve to them for repair? I get that they make good valves, but sucks that they can't keep stock on hand.

* Says the guy that ordered an Andair valve from them anyway.

troublesome sometimes

But, you've got to admit their valves and pumps are better than anything else available to homebuilders. I'm installing their fuel valve, boost pump and cool little gascolator in my F4 now. Spruce and Vans had everything I needed just 2 weeks ago. just sayin...

I'm going to give a guess that Andair doesn't stock anything.

They're a small company trying to make an honest ?? from the light aviation industry and struggling just as much as everyone else with the tiny turn over and a wide range of products. They do stock quite a lot of the commonly used parts, but other parts are produced in small batches when required. It just isn't economic to produce a one-off. I've known Andy for nearly 30 years, he's fully committed to supporting homebuilders (he's built 4 RVs), but he doesn't have many staff and can only do so much.
Pete

It would seem to me that an electric fuel valve is adding unneeded complexity to a very simple and reliable system. Along with the electric valve you would need some sort of position indicator to verify valve position. What about a manual override in the event of electrical or valve failure. I say keep it simple!

I decided to adopt the standard duplex valve in order to support the SDS electronic fuel injection.
I need to order the manual duplex valve ad Andair, but before to proceed I wanted some more info about the electric version.
Despite I wrote several mail, I never get any answers. Also I telephoned asking the same info where we had an agreement to get the info I asked by mail...nothing received.
Because the engine can stay alive only with electric power, why not to simplify the tank selection automatizing the switch ?
This is not my decision, but I would like to get all the information I need to evaluate in details also this option.

Francesco

duplex valve

I just ordered and received mine. Didn't do enough homework and just bought it with all 6 ports configured as straight AN6 fittings.

I'm doing hard lines, and those straight fittings don't work on the rv-10 because the tunnel is too narrow to fit a 90 degree bend and get it on a straight fitting. I've heard that 90 degree fittings on flexible hoses can work as they are much tighter radius.

So if you do hard lines, save yourself some trouble and order the duplex valve with the upper and lower side ports (4 in total) with 90 degree bent fittings. The upper ones should clock aft, the lower ones down.

Use one from 70s-80s cheve suburban or pickup with dual tanks- new from gm or
Rockauto on net Tom Hankamp

I'd be leery about using one of those on an aircraft. They are made by Pollak. I've been through 3 of them in about 100,000 miles on my truck. A typical failure mode is pulling from one tank and returning to another. If the other tank is full, the excess goes overboard. Another locked up in between tank selections leading to reduced fuel flow. Ironically said truck now has a manual Andair duplex valve. Plumbing it was not fun but it's dead reliable.

Back