What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dynon EGT probe positions on 0-320 w/Vetterman exhaust

mikehoover

Well Known Member
I have searched the forums for definitive info on the best placement for the Dynon EGT probes on a Vetterman exhaust on my Lycoming 0-320 160 Hp engine. Some info I did gather was to avoid 2" as the probes might tend to burn up. Dynon manual says to locate them from 2 to 8 inches from the exhaust flanges on a straight portion of the pipe. And to position them all the same distances from the exhaust flanges. This situation does not exist. The closest is at the 2" or maybe 2.25" location. The will satisfy three but put the probe on a curve on cylinder #1.

Any suggestions to solve this puzzler or pictures greatly appreciated.

Mike, I ended up about 5.75" down from the flange. That was as high as I could go to avoid the bends and joints. Operationally they work fine.

Mike,

I put mine right at 2" on both engines.

The other day I saw a picture where they were drilled so they pointed forward. This looked like it might be a better solution as you can then flip the wires up and secure them at the cylinder head with the spark plug wire.

Sure looks like a good solution to me.

I called Larry Vetterman a month or two ago and he was adamant that they be no more than 2" from the exhaust ports. I didn't totally get why, but he was pretty sure about it.

The further away from the combustion chamber, the slower the reaction time of the gauge. Ideal is considered to be around 2".

EGT Probe Location IO360-M1B w/ Vetterman Exhaust

Is there an update to the optimal distance range for mounting the EGT probes on the Vetterman's exhaust with the M1B engine? Plan's say, "refer to engine mfg" but I can't find anything in the Lycoming Manual. Dynon EMS manual says 2 - 8 inches. Bends in the exhaust start at about 2 inches. Does it matter if probes are below bends? 5 inches would be nice to get them away from access path to spark plugs. I thought Vetterman's plans said 2 inches but I can't find that now.

Advice on EGT probe location would be appreciated.

thanks

Is there an update to the optimal distance range for mounting the EGT probes on the Vetterman's exhaust with the M1B engine? Plan's say, "refer to engine mfg" but I can't find anything in the Lycoming Manual. Dynon EMS manual says 2 - 8 inches. Bends in the exhaust start at about 2 inches. Does it matter if probes are below bends? 5 inches would be nice to get them away from access path to spark plugs. I thought Vetterman's plans said 2 inches but I can't find that now.

Advice on EGT probe location would be appreciated.

thanks

Most instructions say within 2 to 3 inches - 8 inches woudl be a VERY long ways away from the exhaust flange. Closer than 2inches and you'll just eat probes. I'm sure that you have read this before, but the important thing is to keep them in the range, and make them all the SAME distance from the flanges if you want the temperatures close to each other.

Back