What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Radiant heat shield

TShort

Well Known Member
Question for all you engineering types ...

I am making a heat shield for my firewall mounted battery, to keep radiant heat from the exhaust away.

The side facing the exhaust will be shiny alclad.

What is best for the back side (towards the battery)? Keep it shiny also, or some sort of high temp matte paint? If paint, any recommendations?

Thanks
Thomas

Shiny side towards heat source and shadowing the desired area to be blocked. The rest is for aesthetics.

If the shield is in contact with the item to be blocked, then an insulating barrier would be in order as the shield will still have an elevated temperature from the radiating source but at a much lower temperature. But wont it radiate heat too? Yes, but the lower temperature will radiate much much less than the original source.

Question for all you engineering types ...

I am making a heat shield for my firewall mounted battery, to keep radiant heat from the exhaust away.

The side facing the exhaust will be shiny alclad.

What is best for the back side (towards the battery)? Keep it shiny also, or some sort of high temp matte paint? If paint, any recommendations?

Thanks
Thomas

Thomas:
I put one of the short shields from Aircraft Spruce on the pipe closest to the battery bottom (http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/eppages/exhaust_shield_4_4.php?recfer=12200). I also added another piece of Al with the ceramic adhesive backed shield from Van's below the battery, attached to the brace to the exhaust support.. I'll send you a picture of what I did tomorrow. I think my battery is mounted lower than your's.

Last edited:
Thanks guys. I don't care about cosmetics (especially on the inside), so I'll keep it simple.

Larry - I think you're right, we have pretty similar setups. Appreciate any pics.

How did you attach that shield to the heat muff? I'm at work right now, can't picture the setup in my head.

Back