What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

USA: Idaho

Driggs Idaho

OK, here is an awesome place to fly for breakfast, lunch or dinner. It is called the Warbird's Cafe at Driggs airport.
114615927-L.jpg

This is the area where Harrison Ford lives and keeps his birds.
http://www.tetonaviation.com/cafemain.html
We ate breakfast there and the food was great. They also have a four plane museum in the attached hanger.

This is what you see as you are taxiing in.
114615861-L.jpg

The Grand Teton in the background.
114615985-L.jpg

Nose art on the walls.
114616137-L.jpg

114616033-L.jpg

The flight there is one of the most scenic around.
114615618-L.jpg

Last edited:
Warbird Cafe

Scott,

I had heard about this place on AirNav.com and it is good to finally see the place via RV photos. I have been planning a cross-country trip to Van's Homecoming in my RV-9A. Driggs is one of the waypoints I have planned since the beginning. Last year, I had the time and the money, but homecoming was cancelled due to runway repaving at Aurora State Airport. This year (2006), I had neither the time or the money to make the trip. I guess I will have to plan for 2007 and make it all happen.

Thanks for sharing those photos.

Jerry K. Thorne
RV-9A #90622 N2PZ
www.n2prise.org

A Favorite

I peek at my log reveals three flights there this year. An short and beatiful flight from SW Montana and it is the absolutely fanciest nicest small airport restaurant that I have ever had the pleasure of eating in.

phone ahead

I ferried a C182 from Couer d'Alene Id to Ogden Ut the Saturday before Mothers Day earlier this year. We decided to stop at Driggs for lunch. The restaurant was not yet opened for the season as Mothers Day starts their season. The FBO happily loaned us the airport car allowing us to get lunch in town.
Echoing Scott's review, the food is good and the view of the Tetons from the patio is great. We regularly stop at Driggs for breakfast while on our way to Three Forks Montana for their antique airplane fly-in every August.
Steve

Bear Lake Airport - 1U7

Just a quick note on the Bear Lake Airport. This is a great airport if you need a bathroom stop or fuel. Don't forget to sign the guest book in the pilot lounge.
Bear Lake is famous for its raspberries. If you ever make it there, make sure you get a "Famous Bear Lake Raspberry Shake".
This could also technically be in the Utah section too since Bear Lake is divided right in the middle between Idaho and Utah. But the airiport is in Idaho.

Bear Lake is a beautiful lake to fly over on your way to and from anywhere.
114615330-L.jpg
114615359-L-1.jpg

The main marina at Bear Lake
106805216-L.jpg

Last edited:
McCall, ID

McCall Aviation FBO has free bikes to take into town:
DSCN1720.JPG

They have some great hotels in this resort town, with lots of fun bars like the mile high cafe' where you sit at the boat ramp and grade the boat launch shenanigans as they occur. Great fun!
DSCN1708.JPG

DSCN1702.JPG

DSCN1700.JPG

DSCN1703.JPG

DSCN1704.JPG

Back