What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Camping Fly-in Sept 2-5 - Casey Abandonned AFB Northern Quebec

MartinACFactory

Well Known Member
Hello all on VAF !

There is an event coming soon here in Quebec, Canada. It is not per say a RV event, but if you are looking to do some RV'ing, as in camping, and bush flying off the grid...this event might be just for you !

This coming Labor Day Week-end September 2-5, 2016, it will be the third annual Camping Fly-in at the former & abandonned Casey Canadian Air Force base in the High Mauricie region in Northern Quebec. Casey CFB (former airport code CSQ4) was a Cold War built airfield to support the DEW line warning radar system and a forward base. It is located close to 48th parallel, and really in middle of "no where"...Due to its remoteness, it was also used by drug traders flying below radar coverage until they were caught by Canadian air force. Just South of the airfield, there is the wreckage of a Lockheed Super Connie.

Casey airfield has one paved runway 05/23 8200 ft long X 200 ft wide capable to support a C-130, thus good enough for any RV :). Airfield elevation is 1291 FT ASL, and GPS coordinates are N47.93833 W74.089974. Obviously it is totally uncontrolled airspace, but pilots in the region call their intentions on Casey ATF 123.2 and traffic advisory on 126.7. There is no services, no fuel, no mobile phone network coverage, no weather station, no washroom, just a very long runway and lots of free parking & camping space. Thus for fuel, you need to fly to La Tuque Airport (CYLQ) 62 NM South East or L'Escapade Outfitter unpaved airfield 34 NM North West on R?servoir Gouin Lake. Casey is also accessible for float planes, using the Ruban River just beside the runway, in case some float equipped RV's would like to join :p
See picture of Casey Airfield here below:

9091504_orig_zpslg6yjwmt.jpg

There are more pictures of the airfield, plus last two years camping fly-in pictures and links to videos at this website:

http://campingmaster.weebly.com/rva-camping-casey.html

I am not the organizer of this event, and I don't even know him. I just wanted to share this information with the VAF community since I believe this could be a very interesting RV'ing activity :D Apparently, 44 airplanes (and one RV-7 !) showed up last year during the week-end. This year, there will be a typical Quebec corn roast offered by CM Aero Shop. Organisers would like to see 80 airplanes this year !

Not sure yet, but there is a chance I will attend and visit Casey for the first time (check out for a Beech Sundowner C-GOVE if you'd like to meet me). If you are interested and need more details (or translation from French !), just send me a PM !

Just an idea: If you plan on flying in from the USA, I suggest you don't file in a direct flight plan to Casey. That would look very suspicious, and there would be a high likeness the Air Force and/or the Police would come crash our camping party for the reason mentioned above. Just make a few stops on the way.... :eek:

Smooth Bush Flying Quebec Style !

Martin

Back