What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Show us the Status of your RV-12

N328KL Paint Update

jv4rvm.jpg

6gyka8.jpg

Fiberglass prep and base color / primer. Should have more photos next week as the fuse and wings are in the paint bay

While waiting for my RV-12

I am one of the later guys to get into the first run of the signature series RV-12's built by Vans. I live near Concord, Ca. (KCCR) and am looking for someone who has a RV-12 flying and would be gracious enough to let me take a few rides with him/her. I'll be happy to pay for fuel and any expenses.
Thanks.
Dick Sperling
[email protected]
home 925 356-5656

First rollout...

Well, it's been a long time coming but 120346 was rolled out of the `hangar' for the first time today.
Won't be long now, only 90% to go! We noticed a number of passing cars slowing down for a closer look.
Apparently not many of the locals have ever seen an aircraft parked in front of the house before. Seems normal enough to me. :D

9282150871_056d41b0f6.jpg

Last edited:
First Rivets Squeezed

I just squeezed my first rivets on the RV-12. While it is a small step, I still feel as if I accomplished something!

Last rivets squeezed

image_zpsbbe6188d.jpg
[/URL]

Last rivet squeezed today with the installation of the turtle deck skins and the first steps to pro-seal the back window.

Next is weight and balance, then inspection, then first flight, hopefully in October.
:D:D
Scott Lane

image_zpsbbe6188d.jpg
[/URL]

Last rivet squeezed today with the installation of the turtle deck skins and the first steps to pro-seal the back window.

Next is weight and balance, then inspection, then first flight, hopefully in October.
:D:D
Scott Lane

Looking good Scott
Is by chance going to later be painted Yellow?

Painted

If you've been an aircraft owner in Ohio for any length of time, you have heard of DESAPI, acknowledged by most to be pretty much the best paint shop in the state. Their work is very much in demand; as of late July of this year, they were booked through April, 2014.

I thought I ought to get on the schedule asap - it was the first week of August by the time I got around to it, so I didn't want the eight month wait to get any longer. I requested a reservation through their web site. What I got in return was "We're booked through April of next year. We can put you on the schedule, unless you can bring it today."

Which is what I did, much to the surprise of the guy at the paint shop. The only problem was that I hadn't yet really, solidly settled on a paint scheme, but I had seen one that I really liked. The only problem was that I would be the third to use it, but that wasn't a huge problem, really, since one was overseas and the other was in Utah. It could be embarrassing if we ended up parked near each other at Oshkosh, I suppose, but around these parts it would be just fine. I grabbed a print out of one of the planes already wearing the outfit, an Ohio State University (the local school - you may have heard of it) hockey jersey to use to pick out the color chips, and headed for Cadiz, Oh.

Eight weeks later:

57f5.jpg

domk.jpg

zm6g.jpg

The only problem was that I would be the third to use it, but that wasn't a huge problem, really, since one was overseas and the other was in Utah. It could be embarrassing if we ended up parked near each other at Oshkosh, I suppose, but around these parts it would be just fine.

Looking good!

Actually I think you're actually the fourth at least.... :)

We still claim first for G-TWLV (UK) and Joeri (Gagarin737) followed with his sistership to us - PH-BZT in The Netherlands.

These two stand a good chance to get together but I think you're pretty safe from us making it over to Oshkosh - unless KLM can air freight them over... Joeri? ;)

The blue against the red!
The B747 combi is flying to Chigaco, guess two RV-12's fit at the upper deck.
I will arrange it if you pay the bill ;-)

Edit:
The next movie (posted two days ago) really makes me proud to work for KLM (and fly the MD-11): youtube
(Sorry, not topic related but in my opinion really cool).

Last edited:
Buzz J

Dave, nice paint scheme...the same one, including colors, I had already decided to do! I suppose mine will be #4. But, mine will be in Southern California. Hope that is okay with you! Great choice!

Would be fun to do a fly-by at Osh! Could drive a controller crazy..."Will the red and white RV-12 make a left turn...."

Buzz

P.S. I've just ordered my last kit, avionics...then onward to last details and then paint.

I suppose mine will be #4. But, mine will be in Southern California. Hope that is okay with you! Great choice!

Er, nope - it will be #5..... Welcome to the clan. Perhaps we could do with a name for the scheme ;)

Nice idea on the non-cost sharing ferry flight idea - I'll get back to you....

Cool video!

Last edited:
Wow! What a good and unusual idea. Bet those kids NEVER forget that experience!
The blue against the red!
The B747 combi is flying to Chigaco, guess two RV-12's fit at the upper deck.
I will arrange it if you pay the bill ;-)

Edit:
The next movie (posted two days ago) really makes me proud to work for KLM (and fly the MD-11): youtube
(Sorry, not topic related but in my opinion really cool).

It looks like an HDR photo shot. You take several pictures at a range of f-stops and via software combine them into one photo. It ends up giving really nice detail high definition shots.

Bob

Waited most of a year for the Touch to become available. Here it is installed on the pilot side.

eq5clv.jpg

2vnntk5.jpg

ay51zq.jpg

ULPower installation, dual 30 amp alternator, dual ECU.

140yyid.jpg

2r632bn.jpg

Good looking installation. Was any strengthening required behind the firewall to support the UL?

Painted....

...finally! ;)

14240448086_12b687a0ac_b_d.jpg

14240448096_b6e282401b_b_d.jpg

Although the dark colour looks black, it's actually the navy blue that you can see on the wingtip in the first photo.

Last edited:
Thanks guys ...

Just need to finish up the ever-lengthening short-list now!
Beautiful paint job. But I am wondering how you get it into that hangar.:rolleyes:

I'll bet all those other non-RV-12 flyers out there are asking themselves the same question. I won't tell them if you don't. :D

Nice!

Sharp looking paint Robert. Would love to see this plane up close someday, but alas, that may not happen.

Sharp looking paint Robert. Would love to see this plane up close someday, but alas, that may not happen.

Thanks Tony. I may have to look into making some long range tanks for the ocean crossing. That would be some trip! :D
I've never been to the US, but hope to get there one day. I've referred to your build photos many times, and a pic of your plane is still pinned up in my workshop.

Nice paint! Do you mind if I copy your design with a different color scheme, like maybe a white with yellow and red?

Tailcone finally completed. VS and rudder installed, fairings trimmed and riveted.
For the first time, it looks like an airplane :D. ...feels great

jhzygz.jpg

Last edited:
Today we married the tailcone to the fuselage. I've waited long enough and there's only a couple more things to do before I get it on it's gear. Also note my little burrito on wheels. There's a thread on saw horses and this is my version. It's glued and screwed and very strong.
e7TEmlYTVzqzWMm5EjX8vnwYpw_kGda3AUb7e-r8T2M=w979-h551-no

u-kxajR_28jJS5pTXDiAl-pYh0ly4jy6wN0siGUavoU=w1314-h739-no

Yahoo!

PASSED Airworthiness Inspection today - legal to fly! Still some work to do before first flight but getting close ...

79tWQi1FpFvx5zgv1JIUvNd55IEKJ4rSgIiD-ROwv6IZjT3twv2VxEapluzm61YeY8LGH7XCDcupJRWWeHpgUBR-GbmrczoSTZlPbDSKru2J_NSAWqzGVeHqvrx39ieNz7piy8a2pjJfnoyavgoeOB3LuHGAdonnA2vMKptkefkWlrvE_z9v48S8RTtK_xo_sOcyZ9OH0vX02J-nyAGsT_fIh9WQ6ATyu2-XpA2gbJ2vcPrsET3q0lrOYoAbRs4Wu4St8rpOMVvCxyVq1hWWc0pcBzp8YlqpM_mNNVQhodXZ_p6BfOSM3ncx6CNiZCC_zaHugi9_nFLpTX5VpuOJB5b5q36W-KXhsLmLNzkpb-sW2tJjxUOknsGWkj3Rcz_QHAPwrzxiCt7xKCaLJOWrCOQ_kG7jfNU-GUGow3YZw_Tej4jbPG9m5HFQMPNxY4MvlMTOYrYdg34GU3ZSXXaSFSpDaJES8ozY-KOz-DG6f3eyOujFIg6igarda4ytQvjYfAeNbaaLesUfPQqOfUuR3L0EkKPaq0ryQXZcYg_YpyKqhU9rU9-YtiFrsrsgnmKvJ00Jj0erJC4BBM9qgdL0b2nvHB9dc0JrKIPjhp-vX29RPhTd5L9yfwhmBguazxbH0u5SJ7D-c3M3es3UBx09Qu4i1U08QnAKMc2JAeQ=w800-no

Last edited:
N913BC "finally" painted

I hesitate called her "finished" as I seem to add upgrades every few months, but she finally "looks" finished to others!

14bsrc5.jpg
2yynx9e.jpg

33o1ncl.jpg
34rd7h2.jpg

Back