What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

ELT & 2020

My RV12 SLSA is due for the two year beacon test, and I have purchased the 2020 GPS antenna from Dynon and want to have that installed as well. Can someone recommend an airport-based avionics shop that can do this work. So far one has told me they will do the ELT test for $150 if I fly to Airlake but don't want to be bothered with the 2020 GPS switchover. A second estimated $150 to $200 for the beacon test alone at KANE. I live north of the Twin Cities, Minnesota.

I’m confused; if you’re talking about testing your ELT, then all that is required is a 12 month inspection per 91.2017.d that you can do yourself (assuming you have your repairman certificate for your S-LSA), or battery replacement based on either use or age, that any certificated aircraft owner can do. The only two-year test I’m aware of is a 24 month pitot-static test required for IFR flight, but that does not affect the ELT.

I’m not sure where you’re coming up with a two year beacon test; do you have some special maintenance requirement the manufacturer of your ELT specifies?

Last edited:
The only two-year test I’m aware of is a 24 month pitot-static test required for IFR flight, but that does not affect the ELT.

Just for clarification; the transponder must be tested and signed off every 2 years for VFR flight. Maybe that's what he's talking about.

Good point; it appears I have a one track IFR mind... I get my transponder done with my pitot check.

However, to be really clear, a transponder isn’t a requirement for VFR flight, only required per airspace requirements. So, unless you’re going into C, B and/or A (not likely in a -12), there’s no requirement to have the check done.

Last edited:
I suspect that virtually all RV-12s are "equipped" with a transponder (likely Mode S). If this transponder is "operable" it must be ON during ALL flight in ALL controlled airspace unless otherwise directed by ATC (FAR 91.215(c)). Such transponders must be inspected i/a/w FARs every two years (FAR 91.413(a)). In my experience, the simple two-year VFR transponder check costs between $80 - $120.

I suspect that virtually all RV-12s are "equipped" with a transponder (likely Mode S). If this transponder is "operable" it must be ON during ALL flight in ALL controlled airspace unless otherwise directed by ATC (FAR 91.215(c)). Such transponders must be inspected i/a/w FARs every two years (FAR 91.413(a)). In my experience, the simple two-year VFR transponder check costs between $80 - $120.

Wow, that sounds so ominous ;)

...but that would still be C, B or A airspace... Anywhere else, not required.

Aside from that, yup, simple check. Can’t help with finding an avionics shop in Mn. But the good news is, if your 2-year time expires, you can still fly where you need to, as long as it’s outside of class C or B airspace.

Last edited:
Us early guys with D-180s all have mode C Garmin units. I have a mode S in my Cherokee, but without tying it in to a 1090ES setup it adds no value to me. I may fix that some day and tie my FreeFlight RS232 interface into it, but I don?t think it?s worth the bucks since the 978 UAT is fine for my anticipated airspace. Going to mode S in my 12 would require a new XPDR, so it is definitely not worth it to me. I?ll stick to my UAT in the 12.

...but that would still be C, B or A airspace... Anywhere else, not required.

Not quite. Don't forget the mode C veil. Typically a 30 mile radius beneath Class B airspace. Many RV-12s fly in this airspace every day.

Not quite. Don't forget the mode C veil. Typically a 30 mile radius beneath Class B airspace. Many RV-12s fly in this airspace every day.

For completeness, add in over 10,000?. Not so important back east, but not uncommon out here in the west.

Transponder ON Almost Everywhere

From the FAA: Types of Controlled Airspace. Controlled Airspace is a generic term that covers the different classifications of airspace (Class A, B, C, D and E airspace) and defined dimensions within which air traffic control service is provided to IFR flights and to VFR flights in accordance with the airspace classification.

Thus the only airspace, i.e. uncontrolled, where the transponder ON requirement does not exist is Class G, such as under 1200′ AGL. If one removes their transponder, flight in Class D & E would be legal too.

Thanks for the responses. So it's a transponder check I need. Is the 2020 GPS unit I bought from Dynon a new version of the transponder or something separate from the transponder? Should I get that installed before the transponder check?

Ted. I can't make heads or tails of it. I would encourage you to contact Dynon. Your questions would best answered there.

Although not the OP’s question, my response was directed at getting to an avionics shop with an out of date transponder. You can fly through the mode C veil without a working transponder. The point being that if you have an out-of-date transponder and need to get somewhere (either into, or out off) to have it checked, all you need to do is call the TRACON and get permission; it’s easy. BTW, I have a friend with an Aeronica Chief - no electrical system; he flies in the mode C veil each time he flies as the airport, Concord, is in the veil. He just asks before he goes and comes. It happens a lot.

All the other comments, while interesting, seem to miss the main point, which is that the RV-12, if flown by a pilot flying under sport pilot rules, is limited to 10,000’ with the same altitude restrictions as transponder use and the idea is just to get the thing to a shop for maintenance, so altitude shouldn’t be a problem. And if your transponder is out of date, it’s not technically operable. And there aren’t any avionics shops that I know of between 18,000’ and 60,000’; so the only airspace you would have to avoid is B and C. Enjoy.

Last edited:
Ted, The GPS 2020 is a separate unit from the transponder. But the two units work together as a team to send data to both other airplanes and to ATC ground stations. That data includes your exact position which other aircraft can see on their glass screens, greatly helping to avoid collisions. I suggest that you install the GPS before the transponder check.

Ted – There are two separate issues here you are contending with … but they are inner related. To expand on the good info Joe gave you, the following is a thumbnail sketch regarding the transponder in relationship to the GPS antenna.

Transponder: Yes, every 2 years the RV-12’s transponder needs to go through a test to verify it is accurately reporting the aircraft's altitude based on the requirements for a VFR aircraft.

GPS 2020 antenna: Don’t confuse the GPS 2020 antenna with the transponder ... they are separate units but they do talk to one another as will be mentioned later. The GPS 2020 antenna was introduced by Dynon to meet the ADS-B OUT requirements the FAA has set in place … in that, the GPS antenna receivers used as part of the FAA’s mandated ADS-B OUT transmission need to meet an accuracy requirement set forth by the FAA. The older Dynon GPS250 antenna did not meet the accuracy requirement … hence the new GPS2020 antenna that does. (Which as Joe mentioned in the previous post you should install the GPS2020 antenna it prior to the Transponder test if possible).

Transponder & GPS2020 --- where the two shall meet. To comply with the FAA’s ADS-B OUT requirement … in addition to broadcasting the altitude, the Transponder also needs to broadcast ACCURATE location coordinates reflecting the aircraft’s current position. Because accurate location data is required to satisfy the ADS-B OUT requirements, the location data is fed to the Transponder from the GPS2020 which now meets the FAA’s higher accuracy requirement (the GPS250 antenna did not).

Hope that helps you with sorting things out.

Last edited:
The GPS Ant. installation is not however, related to or checked in any way during the biannual transponder check so it doesn't really matter whether it gets installed before or after.

Now I understand

Thanks all for your patience, Stein Air explained what's needed and I now understand its the VFR transponder check that's due this month. Once the 2020 antenna gizmo is installed (probably at the annual early in 2018) that adds the ADS-B to the transponder signal, and future transponder checks would verify that's working correctly. The ELT gets checked as part of the annual and is totally separate. Got it now.

and future transponder checks would verify that's working correctly.

To clarify...... the transponder certification check required by FAR 91.413 for VFR flight doesn't check anything that evaluates the performance of the GPS antenna's interface with the transponder (such as proper position info, etc.).

The ELT gets checked as part of the annual and is totally separate. Got it now.

To be perfectly clear, the ELT check is done annually but doesn't have to be at the same time as the annual condition inspection. They are 2 separate inspections. However, since they both need to be done annually, it's convenient to do them at the same time, and most people do.

ADS-B Check

Thanks all for your patience, Stein Air explained what's needed and I now understand its the VFR transponder check that's due this month. Once the 2020 antenna gizmo is installed (probably at the annual early in 2018) that adds the ADS-B to the transponder signal, and future transponder checks would verify that's working correctly. The ELT gets checked as part of the annual and is totally separate. Got it now.

To check the operation of your ADS-B transmitter, just go here:
https://adsbperformance.faa.gov/PAPRRequest.aspx

It?s your tax dollars at work.:D

When I first installed my FreeFlight ADS-B UAT I got a performance report. It was flagged for a barometric altitude delta out of limits 0.2% of the time. When I asked the FAA tech what the acceptance criteria was he said his supervisor believed this was excessive. I told him that while I don?t contest his supervisor?s judgment I wanted to see the spec in writing. After several weeks he could not produce a written specification with the error limits. He did grab another report for a subsequent flight showing everything was fine even though I had not done anything to the equipment. I am not convinced the FAA has thought out the implementation well.

Back