What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-8 W&B Spreadsheet

JFRV8

Here is a Weight & Balance Spreadsheet I generated. It is in Excel and can be edited for you airplane's numbers (just turn Protection Off).

If you want a copy, send me a PM.

N809RVWB.jpg

Nice! I also developed a spreadsheet (but yours is less "busy").

In mine, the grey boxes are editable, and the results update through the excel magic. It also updates the aerobatic, normal, or out of limits based on green, yellow or red. In the example shown, I am only within aerobatic weigh limits at near zero fuel (green), but still outside the aerobatic CG even at empty (yellow).

5bd7vp.jpg

I did notice a difference in the arm for your wheels. I measured 69.75 to your 68, (not a huge deal) but significantly, I get 251.625 to your 240 - a whopping difference! Did you measure in the 3 point or level attitude? If we have essentially the same airplane, your forward bias looks like it was measured on the floor in a 3 point. Plugging in your tailwheel arm number (240) moves my CG forward a half inch. I guess I better jack mine up and re-do the measurements to make sure.

Last edited:
Nice!

I did notice a difference in the arm for your wheels. I measured 69.75 to your 68, (not a huge deal) but significantly, I get 251.625 to your 240 - a whopping difference! Did you measure in the 3 point or level attitude? If we have essentially the same airplane, your forward bias looks like it was measured on the floor in a 3 point. Plugging in your tailwheel arm number (240) moves my CG forward a half inch. I guess I better jack mine up and re-do the measurements to make sure.

Michael - I have 68.75" for my mains. If apply this number to your weights it moves the aircraft CG forward about an inch. Perhaps these measurements are related to your mysterious aft CG change following rebuild?

iPhone app

For iPhone users (and probably Android), I wrote a web app - http://53vg.com/wb

If you bookmark it to you smatphone's home screen, it caches itself and no longer requires a data connection. It also remembers the values from your last calculation so once you enter you fixed values, they "stick". I wanted something so convenient, I'd use it for every trip and every passenger.

Last edited:
Michael - I have 68.75" for my mains. If apply this number to your weights it moves the aircraft CG forward about an inch. Perhaps these measurements are related to your mysterious aft CG change following rebuild?

Thanks for the data point Alan.

I did keep the same measuremnts for both before and after, so that should have remained a constant.

Question - you measured in the "level" attitude, or 3 point? Also, what was your tailwheel arm?

I will certainly be measuring again!

Change the N Number

Thanks everyone for the responses on the spreadsheet.

You can change the N number in the graphic since it is in a textbox. Just turn Protection off first so you can select the text box.

The weights and arms are based on typical numbers from other RV 8's. I have not measured and weighed mine yet.

Jonathan

:)

Please Send an Email Address!!

I need an email address to send the spreadsheet to.

The VAF Forum does not allow attachments in PMs.

Thanks to everyone who has commented on the spreadsheet. :)

Jonathan Fant

Thanks Bob. I appreciate you hosting the file.

As regards Protection, I used it to limit the range of cells that could be selected to the ones you will use to enter the weights and gallons that change from flight to flight.

You do not have to, but I recommend turning Protection back on after you enter your aircraft's weasured weights.

The N-number in the graphic is in a Text Box so you can change it to your aircraft's number. You could delete the graphic if you want to.

Thanks again to all who have commented on the spreadsheet.

Jonathan Fant

Thanks Bob;
I used the spreadsheet right off your website to do the Weight & Balance for my RV-8 original Airworthiness application. I faxed it (& all the other paperwork) in to the MIDO on Friday, now I'm all nerves waiting for the inspection.
I also printed off some various weight & balance combinations for my flight manual.
Enable Editing makes it possible to account for small variations in main gear placement.

Last edited:
There is a link in post #15 for the spreadsheet. It saves me some time on the computer if you would use this link to get your copy.

Thanks to all how have looked at it and all the nice comments.

As before, if you have any trouble with it, please let me know. If you want me to help you customize it to your aircraft I would be glad to.

Link to W&B Spreadsheet -W&B Spreadsheet

I will be getting my W&B done within a week, first flight real soon now!

Jonathan

Finally got my RV8 to the W&B stage.

Came in at 1098, 518 and 520 mains, 60 lbs on tail wheel.

Airworthiness inspection next, then phase 1. Good times this summer.

:)

Thanks!!

Hey Jonathan,

I used the link on post n°26 and it works great!!!

Gotta wait a few years before using it for real in my case though...

Many thanks for sharing this. :cool:

I think I am caught up with sending out copies (at least the ones below Burke's post, thank you Burke!).

If you have not received a copy or want one, please send me a Private Message. It is much easier to keep track of who I have sent one to.

Also, please remember to include an email address since that is the only way to send it.

Thanks everyone, happy flying!

Last edited:
Back