What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Battery contactor Brand name

svyolo

Well Known Member
Several months ago I read on a thread here a brand name of relay that was arguably better as a battery contactor. They were a bit pricey at 120-150 dollars but I was going to buy one. I can't find the brand name.

Any help would be appreciated.

GigaVac

I replaced my master contactor a few months back when I did my engine swap with a GivaVac contactor.

They have many different models, there are only a couple that are the right models to use for our plane (size & voltage). I originally ordered a MX-12BA but it was on a 2 month backorder. I ended up with a GX-11SA.

The MX is a mil-spec model, the GX is not mil-spec. The GX has been working great so far and the current draw is much less than my original contactor.

Several months ago I read on a thread here a brand name of relay that was arguably better as a battery contactor. They were a bit pricey at 120-150 dollars but I was going to buy one. I can't find the brand name.

Any help would be appreciated.

Probably thinking of Blue Sea solid state contactor.

Larry

I found a couple on eBay at a good price - but they are not always available. Just check when you can, but if you need one or two now bite the $160 bullet.

Carl

Gigavac

I do see the GigaVac for quite a bit cheaper, and direct from them.
GX11SA $111
GX12SA $115

They are both the same weight and coil current draw (1W). Difference is at the higher end how much power they handle. They weight the same too. Any reason to not splurge the extra $4 on the higher power one?

GX11 vs GX12:

xASxHoP.png

I do see the GigaVac for quite a bit cheaper, and direct from them.
GX11SA $111
GX12SA $115

They are both the same weight and coil current draw (1W). Difference is at the higher end how much power they handle. They weight the same too. Any reason to not splurge the extra $4 on the higher power one?

GX11 vs GX12:

Looks like the only difference is M8 vs M10 lug.

I personally use the MX11SA mil-spec version.

That one looks to be sealed better. Would probably outlive humanity. Vibration/Shock ratings at 20G. I think that is all drastic overkill for our tin can airplanes.

Then there's the downside - much less current capacity. Still good enough for our use though probably. Is there any other factor that I missed that pushed you to the MX line?

MX12:
bZELe7H.png

The M8 lugs were the reason I picked the GX11 vs the GX12.

I would have used the MX version if one was available when I ordered mine.

The M8 lugs were the reason I picked the GX11 vs the GX12.

It looks like M8 lugs are the most common for 2AWG, but I found M10 without much trouble here.

Terminal availability is the only concern with lug size, right? Just want to make sure I know all the gotchas before selecting something that ends up not working.

Consider copper jumper bar also

I had to re-make the copper jumper bar between the Master Contactor and the Started contactor also.

The copper bar that I used was just wide enough to drill a hole that fit the M8 lug. The copper bar was that I got from ACS was the same width as the one Vans supplies. If you get the M10 lug, you will need a wider than standard jumper bar.

That one looks to be sealed better. Would probably outlive humanity. Vibration/Shock ratings at 20G. I think that is all drastic overkill for our tin can airplanes.

Then there's the downside - much less current capacity. Still good enough for our use though probably. Is there any other factor that I missed that pushed you to the MX line?

I just prefer the higher quality that is usually associated with the mil-spec. And as Rick noted I saw no need to go for the MX12, that would have required replacing all the lug ends for the M10 studs. The current capacity of the 11 is more than sufficient for my application (wire wound B&C starter draws around 200amps).

The MX12BA was 130 direct from Gigavac. Mine is on the way, along with one of their mini contactors P115 for my second battery, which won't be connectable to the start circuit without jumper cables.

Thanks for all who responded. I couldn't remember the brand name.

Back