What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

EarthX Battery Box Installation

DavidHarris

Well Known Member
I'm building an RV-7A and am considering how to install the EarthX BB-CU battery box on the front of the firewall.

https://earthxbatteries.com/shop/aluminum-battery-box

The Vans plans show a fairly complicated PC680 battery box mounting scheme with multiple angle brackets supporting the box. The BB-CU box already has flanges with two bolt holes.

I'm curious to hear from anyone else who did this installation in a new build rather than a retrofit. What additional support structure did you provide, if any?

Thanks!

David

I have the box that's used by the PC 680 and now it's holding an APEX battery. Since installation.... so far I'm MUCH happier.

Looking at the earthx box, looks pretty straight forward. The only suggestion I could make is this. When I installed the PC 680, the terminals face rearward TOWARDS the firewall. It's only 1/2 maybe 3/4 inch away. No matter how careful you are at some point you will short to firewall and scare yourself to death. I eventually forced a piece of nylon sheet, (backed with RTV), down in that area to prevent this problem. Wish I had known to do this at the time of building. I don't know where the earthx terminals are.

blind nuts

The PC680 plans called for the blind nuts on the battery box. I put them on the inside of the firewall instead.

Earthx battery box

Here's what I did:

http://www.rv8.ch/battery-holder/

img_2645-768x768.jpg

I put the insulated EarthX box (for a Shorai battery) on my firewall and just bolted it on. The battery is super light so I didn't worry about beefing up the structure. I do have three bolts on each flange. I was going to do nutplates on the cabin side of the firewall but decided to go lazy and just use nuts since I can get to them. I (ideally) won't need to remove the battery box, as I can slide the battery up and out of the box for any maintenance.

Thanks! It's helpful to know you bolted the box straight to the firewall successfully.

I'm thinking of adding a plate to stiffen the aft side of the firewall and also support the solenoids, but will have to study the geometry more carefully...

David

I too have the earthX insulated battery box. I attached it with nut plates mounted to the brace on the inboard side. On the outboard side I added a backer plate behind the fire wall
i-k3Gk993

I too have the earthX insulated battery box. I attached it with nut plates mounted to the brace on the inboard side. On the outboard side I added a backer plate behind the fire wall
i-k3Gk993

This is what I'm planning to do. Did you rivet the backer plate to the firewall, or just use the two bolts in the battery box?

Back