What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Aerovonics AV-20

jliltd

Well Known Member
I put an Aerovonics AV-20 in my RV-8 and a firend's Super Cub. Here are some panel shots:

r9eO5pf.jpg

bWk7khU.jpg

At first I was skeptical about the usability of the unit due to the 2.25" format with the square display. But flying it in both aircraft has shown it to be very well behaved and the attitude solutions is dead on. I have flown the Sandia Quattro, the Garmin G5, the GDL 39 3D, the GDL 52 and the GRT Mini. This little AV-20 is as good or better than the best of them (and that previous list has some not so good stuff on it).

Having a second adhars on board allows a pretty good comparison. This unit would be an excellent choice for the likes of the Super Cub where a pilot in the bush might find themselves in deteriorating visibility or on top of a layer. Emergency conditions.

The TAS and density altitude are very nice. I don't pay attention to the AOA or G-meter functions.

I am pleased enough with the display and smooth operation that I ordered one for our Luscombe. I have also ordered and received two the 3 1/8" AV-30s which have far more features and connectivity to install in a Glasair III. Aerovonics has been great to work with.

Jim

I have one of these installed in my RV-14 IFR panel. Very simple to plumb and wire, and it gives a "tie-breaker" attitude solution. I really like mine!

Curious what you guys used for the AOA settings. In cruise the one I just installed is showing -3 degrees in cruise. Which doesn't make sense to me.

I wish I could tell you. I as a rule try to disable all AOA because I am not smart enough to use them nor do I have the attention span to set them up and I find them very distracting and any annunciators annoying. It's all me and I admire those who can fly AOA instruments with their intrusive nature.

I fact I am removing the Garmin glareshield AOA indicator shown in the initial post. On the AV-20S I either disabled or muted any annunciations. I will have to check next time I fly the Super Cub (where the unit has migrated since the photo).

By all means feel free to call Aerovonics with your question as they are very friendly and will help.

Jim

Back