What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

All things TIRES

Gyrodoug

Well Known Member
I'll be replacing all 3 tires very soon on my RV6A. Any advice?

Type? Make? etc...

Balancing advice?

Removing/Installing tire to rim? Local shop or DIY?

Otherwise things you wish you knew before buying/installing?

Thanks!!!
Doug

DIY, Desser retreads, get new air stop tubes if yours are old. Google how to do this so you don?t hurt yourself, or your airplane, but it?s a pretty simple, but dirty job, meaning your hands will get dirty. Clean everything up very well, and repack the bearings by hand. This will be explained in any instruction you can find (Tony Bengelis, You tube, VAF, etc). Make sure you understand how to jack your airplane up safely if you haven?t done that before. If you haven?t done it before, its a very doable, and rewarding project that just about anybody could do if they don?t mind getting their hands dirty. If you have an experienced friend to offer guidance if it?s your first time, all the better.

I prefer Michelin Air with airstop tubes for the mains and Aeroclassic 8 ply with butyl tube on the nose (actually I prefer the Beringer nose wheel, far superior to the stock set up).

Goodyear Flight Custom 3

I'll be replacing all 3 tires very soon on my RV6A. Any advice?

Type? Make? etc...

Balancing advice?

Removing/Installing tire to rim? Local shop or DIY?

Otherwise things you wish you knew before buying/installing?

Thanks!!!
Doug

I actually replaced mine today. I read all through these VAF forums and there are lots of opinions. Some love the retreads, others have had problems with them. For almost every tire, you will find some that love or dislike each. My original Vans Aero Classics didn't last all that long - about 180 hours. I fly out of a class D that has grooved pavement with water drainage for the airlines, and that probably doesn't help.

I went with 6 ply Goodyear Flight Custom 3's. I reused the Michelin Airstop tubes, installed new Rapco brake rotors that are a little thicker than the stock rotors, new brake liners(pads) and repacked the bearings. I set the the new brake liners pursuant to the instructions and then did 10 full stop landings. Everything feels really great - about like getting new tires on your car. Time is really the test on the tires, but I think the brake rotors were a nice improvement, though.

The job was pretty easy. Get some tire talc (I've read that baby powder has something in it that is bad for the rubber - who knows if that's true), some good bearing grease (I used Mobilgrease 28 Aviation Grease) and check out a few youtube videos on changing aviation tires. No balancing required. There will be a red dot on the tire where the valve should go (presumably for balance). Don't bring these to a tire shop. They wont know what to do. The wheel is a split rim and you will need to break the bead. I ended up buying a Bogert bead breaker, but honestly harbor freight sells one for $49 that would probably be fine. https://tinyurl.com/yyz7uo4l This one would also be better and is less than the Bogert. https://tinyurl.com/y2wbt6fa Some use a 2x4 and hammer - be careful! You can clean and repack the bearing the old fashion way, or buy a bearing packer. I have a packer, but for 4 bearings, I would just put some gloves on and do them by hand.

Here is the bad news. The Goodyear Flight Custom 3's came in at 6.5lbs each compared to the 4lbs worn Aero Classics that I removed. So 5 lbs total more! Don't know what the Aero Classics weighted when they were new, but I don't think I shaved 2.5 lbs off of them from use.

Do the job yourself and enjoy the learning.

Last edited:
Back