What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Paint Touch Up

FlyingBanker

Well Known Member
Patron
I bought my plane in December. It did not have a builders log with it. There are a couple of very small issues (one chip and one short scratch/gouge) with the paint that I want to try to address without a complete repaint. The issue is color match. My plane's paint scheme appears to be very similar to that of N137RV described by Van's as Valspar base coat/clear coat with W-51 Spec White and 1018 Mack Truck Dynamite Yellow. The missing chip is in the yellow area and the scratch/gouge in the white). In addition, the fairing on the nose fork needs repainted. Is this something I can get appropriate touch up paint for and address or do I need to get it to a paint shop?

Check with your local automotive paint jobber. Many can color match if you have a part you can bring in. Some can also put it in a rattle can for you as well.

If I get them to put it in a rattle can, what about the clear coat finish? Mine was painted in white with automotive base coat Chrysler 960 paint code then clear coated.

Since it's just small scratches, would it be better to use a small paint brush then polish or wet sand it in a little? I'm talking small hangar rash scratches but it's showing the bare aluminum.

If I get them to put it in a rattle can, what about the clear coat finish? Mine was painted in white with automotive base coat Chrysler 960 paint code then clear coated.

Since it's just small scratches, would it be better to use a small paint brush then polish or wet sand it in a little? I'm talking small hangar rash scratches but it's showing the bare aluminum.

yeah, if it is just touch-up, a brush would be best. If it is a standard auto color, you can order (of even buy at the auto-parts store) the factory matched touch-up paint. The touch-up are usually an enamel. Not as tough as a 2K, but good for the job at hand.

Thanks, I'll try that today, got an eye exam at 9:30 to update my glasses. I'll be on my way between 8:30 and 9:30 if you want to give me a call regarding the training we talked about.

Thanks, I'll try that today, got an eye exam at 9:30 to update my glasses. I'll be on my way between 8:30 and 9:30 if you want to give me a call regarding the training we talked about.

I tried to call yesterday evening, but didn't catch you. I just got out of meetings this morning and missed your time window. I'll try again this evening if you are around.

base paint won't hold up without clear over it. for scratches, use very fine brushes to get base/color on. Then cover with clear. After about a day or so, scrape the clear flat with a razor blade to almost level. block flat with wet sanding, then buff.

Larry

Back