- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-6/6A
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-16-2019, 11:35 AM

Default RV6-A Nose gear inspection

Hello,

A slight rotation was noticed when checking the break out force on my nose wheel, is this normal ? All SB's have been addressed regarding
the nose gear/wheel and it has no noticeable flaws while flying or landing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NjQ8wUIXw4U

Thanks for the help,
Justin
Old 05-16-2019, 12:20 PM

Honestly, I think that is a bit more than a slight. It will only get worse if left unchecked.

Many, including myself either replace the bolt on top with a close tolerance or even better go to a tapered bolt. You may also check to see if there is movement in the socket or just the bolt.
Dues paid
Old 05-16-2019, 12:32 PM

As noted above, that needs to be addressed ASAP or it will get worse. With that much play, you will probably need the ream oversize or go with a taper bolt. The taper bolt is the better choice, but access is more of a problem.
RV-6A #20603
Complete 5/10/19
PP SEL / A&P
I donate every year on my B-Day (in Dec), but donated early in Sep'19.
Old 05-16-2019, 04:48 PM

Start with the close tolerance bolt, it might fix the problem. They are a few thou larger in diameter than the standard ones. Do not try to simply clamp the bolt tight enough to keep the motion from happening - you will likely grossly over-torque the bolt.
Old 05-16-2019, 05:05 PM

Default ground it now

ground it now. all you need is 1) continue to beat on the bolt, 2) get some nose wheel shimmy, and you'll eventually 3) shear off the bolt. Which will lead to a bad day.

I put in a close tolerance bolt, but mine wasn't this bad. The correct reamer to fit the close tolerance bolt was absurdly expensive so I think I found a reamer on eBay. Probably won't last 100 holes, but I only needed one!

I agree the taper pin is the way to go but I don't know how you'd get the taper cut without pulling the engine. Sorry!

Last edited by blaplante : 05-16-2019 at 05:06 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 05-16-2019, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaplante View Post
ground it now. all you need is 1) continue to beat on the bolt, 2) get some nose wheel shimmy, and you'll eventually 3) shear off the bolt. Which will lead to a bad day.

I put in a close tolerance bolt, but mine wasn't this bad. The correct reamer to fit the close tolerance bolt was absurdly expensive so I think I found a reamer on eBay. Probably won't last 100 holes, but I only needed one!

I agree the taper pin is the way to go but I don't know how you'd get the taper cut without pulling the engine. Sorry!

+1. This is a serious issue that can be a 30 minute fix. Take care of it now.
1978 PA38-112
Old 05-17-2019, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchemist View Post
Hello,

A slight rotation was noticed when checking the break out force on my nose wheel, is this normal ? All SB's have been addressed regarding
the nose gear/wheel and it has no noticeable flaws while flying or landing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NjQ8wUIXw4U

Thanks for the help,
Justin
Which SBís were addresses and what was done? Was the nose stop flange in an incorrect orientation and then repositioned to the correct orientation? From the video it appears to be correctly oriented but you didnít indicated what steps were taken re the SB compliance. If it was incorrectly oriented, the service bulletin calls for discarding the original hardware and replacing it. The can be no play in the nose gear. https://www.vansaircraft.com/wp-cont...sb14-12-22.pdf

The same issue could be caused by excessively bad towing methods but the most common cause is the issue addressed in 14-12-22 as ROMSIM pointed out. The important thing right now is that this needs to be addressed before further flight. Regardless of whether or not youíve already competed the SB, the damage must be addressed. Contact the Vanís support staff for assistance on the repair.

Building RV-8A since Sept 2014 (N88VX reserved)
Dual AFS 5600, Avidyne IFD 440, Whirlwind 74RV, Superior XPIO-360
VAF build thread - Flickr photo album - Project Facebook page
Hillsboro, OR (EAA 105)

Old 05-17-2019, 07:07 AM

Thanks for the response guys, I also got a response from the mothership and pulled the nose gear off to inspect. the washer showed signs of damage and the nyloc nut was past it's service life from typical hardware reuse. The thru bolt hole in the mount wasn't oblong and still round. The thru whole in the gear was still snug with bolt inserted.

I got new hardware per van's drawings and put it all back together and there is no rotation anymore and everything is in spec again. I marked the bolts and will monitor for any moment.

Looks like I found it just in time, thanks again guys!
Old 05-17-2019, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchemist View Post
Thanks for the response guys, I also got a response from the mothership and pulled the nose gear off to inspect. the washer showed signs of damage and the nyloc nut was past it's service life from typical hardware reuse. The thru bolt hole in the mount wasn't oblong and still round. The thru whole in the gear was still snug with bolt inserted.

I got new hardware per van's drawings and put it all back together and there is no rotation anymore and everything is in spec again. I marked the bolts and will monitor for any moment.

Looks like I found it just in time, thanks again guys!
Good! Question: was the bolt deformed/worn? If not, what was allowing the movement? Or did you replace it with a close tolerance bolt?
Old 05-17-2019, 08:56 PM

Bolt was just fine , washer and nut was degraded. I will take a pic if I didnít throw the bolt, nut, and washer away.