What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Lycoming swamping parts

737hudec

I'm New Here
Hi all,
Well I purchased an aeio 540 D4a5 for a rocket I?m building. It had one rebuild by lycoming at 1400 hours and 1400 hours on the engine since rebuild. 2800 ttsn. So today I tore down the engine in order to sent the parts to aircraft specialty. Come to find out the main bearings are ground .006 under. The first grind if needed would be .003. Come to find out that lycoming can take your good or better parts out of your engine and put older close to run out parts in your engine. So when the engine log says 2800, you really don?t know what you have if you get your engine overhauled by lycoming. So if you buy a new engine from them and then send it to them for rebuild, you may not get your parts back. Be warned. I will never buy anything from lycoming unless forced to.
:mad::mad::mad::mad:

What evidence is there that it isn’t your original crank? It was probably ground m006 at that first overhaul. They have to grind until the scratches are gone and journals are round with good radius’s, and sometimes that can’t be done in the first 003.

Pretty sure a ?rebuild ? by Lycoming includes your parts plus any new parts that might be needed. When you get it back it comes with a zero time logbook.
If you get the same engine ?overhauled ? instead by Lycoming you get only your original case back with random internal parts that meet specifications along with your original logbook showing a overhaul. Toured the Lycoming plant years ago and watched them dismantle engines and throw the internal parts into big bins to be checked. I?m pretty sure that this is how is works. And a rebuild is a lot more money than a overhaul.

Back