What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

East coast fly-in camp grounds?

N941WR

Legacy Member
A friend and I were talking about going on a flying camping trip.

Do any of you know of any good camp grounds with good runways on the East Coast. We are no looking to do beach trips but would rather find some fields in the mountains.

We have looked at the Petit jean web site but would like to know if there are other airports we should look at.

I know this is a seriously late reply, but for the benefit of anyone who finds this thread via search and is interested in the same thing, I offer the following.

One of my favorite places to camp in combination with flying is in the Blue Ridge Parkway area. A great jumping off point is the Western Carolina Regional airport (KRHP) located between Andrews and Murphy. Its an easy airport to get into, has very reasonable fuel prices, and best of all has "rent-a-wreck" type rental cars on site to take you to any of the hundreds of hiking/camping sites located nearby. It is also a very sleepy little airport, so you completely bypass the hustle & bustle that would be associated with somewhere like Asheville, Knoxville, or Gatlinburg-Pigeon Forge.

Back