What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Voltage regulators

I'm just at the point of designing my electrical system in my RV8 fastback. Does anybody have any thoughts on voltage regulators? I've been using the AeroElectric connection as my main reference and B and C seem to offer a nice voltage regulator. Does anybody have any experience using this product or have any other ideas. Thanks

I have a B&C in my 10. Good reputation and it has the overvoltage protection built in. On my 6, I used a std ford VR that worked very well. Recently upgraded to an automotive regulator with adjustable voltage. With these, I built an over voltage module using Bob Knuckles design.

Really like the B&C's. Havent seen any failures of the LR3-C's. Plus, they are adjustable so you can tweak it for the optimum voltage for your battery.

Vic

Last edited:
I?ve got a B&C LR3-C voltage regulator in my -8. Mine failed on the way to OSH in 2018. Made it in on battery power but the good news is the folks at B&C were fantastic. They were at OSH and provided me simple troubleshooting procedures to find the problem. I quickly figured out it was the voltage regulator that failed and they FedExed a new one to OSH right away. I was able to swap it out while there and have had no problems since. No charge from them for any of the troubleshooting or replacement voltage regulator despite the fact that I had been flying with it for 3 years and I had installed it in the aircraft prior to that. Well past the warranty period. Things happen, things break, these guys stand behind their product. I would certainly use any of their products.

Back