VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 05-22-2020, 05:37 PM

Default Dimpling support platform

I need an idea of how large to build my support platform to hold the material parallel to my DRDT-2 Dimpler. I have a 8x4 worktable that it will all sit on top of.
All suggestions would be appreciated. (Iím building an RV 8)
Old 05-22-2020, 05:59 PM

I went "the other way". I cut a hole in my table (big enough to place the DRDT into it), and sat the DRDT on a reinforced bottom of the table, so that the dimpling die was level with the table top. This left me with 2' either side, and about a foot in front (much more than that becomes an uncomfortable reach). When I needed the whole table, I took it out. (BTW, although it's heavy, I suggest bolting it down to the table).
Old 05-22-2020, 07:05 PM

Thatís sounds like a good idea. Although Iím using the (underneath) of the table for storage right now, I could probably make that work. Iíll let you know what I come up with. Thanks for the reply and stay safe and healthy.
Old 05-22-2020, 08:02 PM

I have 2 work benches. I put a 2 x 4 on the end of each bench, screwed to the 2 end legs. They are down from the table top about 7 3/4 inches. When I want to dimple, I set the 2 two benches about a foot apart end to end, place a piece of 3/4 in plywood between them on top of those 2 x4s and set the DRDT between the benches. The material I am working with then sits flush with the bench tops.
I'd send a pic but I haven't mastered that on this site
Old 05-22-2020, 08:26 PM

Default Platform

Similar. I have a 4'x4'x4" platform. Place the two EAA benches side by side. Clamp the platform and start dimpling. I'm a C-Frame builder and the business end is close to the edge so it's over the sturdy area.
wirejock at yahoo dot com
Donated 12/03/2019, plus a little extra.
RV-7A #73391, N511RV reserved (2,000+ hours)
HS SB, empennage, tanks, wings, fuse, working finishing kit
Disclaimer
I cannot be, nor will I be, held responsible if you try to do the same things I do and it does not work and/or causes you loss, injury, or even death in the process.
Old 05-23-2020, 11:16 AM

I have a large table made from a solid door and two card board boxes from some parts I use to support the aluminum. I use c clamps to hold the drdt, sometimes in the middle of the table sometimes on the ends. I like the boxes for support as it seems each sheet of material needs numerous different orientations to get to all the holes.

2019 VAF Dues Paid
RV8 N189DK
Old 05-23-2020, 11:59 AM

Donated in 2019
Old 05-23-2020, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmbusse View Post
I have 2 work benches. I put a 2 x 4 on the end of each bench, screwed to the 2 end legs. They are down from the table top about 7 3/4 inches. When I want to dimple, I set the 2 two benches about a foot apart end to end, place a piece of 3/4 in plywood between them on top of those 2 x4s and set the DRDT between the benches. The material I am working with then sits flush with the bench tops.
I'd send a pic but I haven't mastered that on this site
This is how I do it.
Old 05-23-2020, 02:37 PM

Default Simpler idea

I just bolted the drt2 to the Middle of my eaa table. Then used ~1 1/2Ē styrofoam from the aviation isle at home depot to build a foam boArd table on each side At the height of the dimple die Using construction adhesive. Simple and light weight. I would tape the foam extensions to the table when using so they wouldnt move.

WARNING! Information presented in this post is my opinion. All users of info have sole responsibility for determining accuracy or suitability for their use.

Dues paid 2020, worth every penny

RV9A- Status: tail feathers done less tips
Wings 98% done
Fuselage 98% done
Electrical 10%
Finishing 10%
Firewall Forward 5%
www.pilotjohnsrv9.blogspot.com