What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

g3x non touch wiring questions

flyingclay

I am installing a G3X non touch system in my plane. I have a garmin SL30 and want to couple the nav to the g3x but cannot find out any info on the wiring diagram. I also have the PSE 9000ex audio panel, garmin gtx327, Trutrak GX Pilot auto pilot with servos, and a set of backup steam gauges. Does anybody have a wiring diagram of how to get these all to work together? I will probably have many more questions in the future. I have been working with Steinair and Stein has been great but I don't want to hound him if I don't have to.

Will the Sl30 give the nave info to the g3x to make it IFR capable? Do I need to buy HSI or CDI to make it fir capable? I am hoping to get buy without buying a 430 or other expensive equipment and making it work with what I have.

Thanks for the help and there will be more in the future.

Les

G3X Installation manual has almost 100 device wiring diagrams, including the SL30. Suggest you read it first.

The SL30 just needs a serial connection to the G3X and it will display everything you need for ILS approaches.

Larry

Last edited:
If you bought stuff from Stein he will send along a wiring diagram - just ask.
Make sure you know how to set up the SL30 and G3X so it will show an ILS and a VOR cross fix at the same time. To the best of my knowledge the SL30 is the only radio that can do that.

Last edited:
I didn't buy the stuff but I did buy all the wiring from stein. I have been through the g3x install manual and I will go again, I must have missed it. Thanks for the replies.

G3X Installation manual has almost 100 device wiring diagrams, including the SL30. Suggest you read it first.

The SL30 just needs a serial connection to the G3X and it will display everything you need for ILS approaches.

Larry
I do not know haw many times I went through this manual it is only 900 pages, but you were right and I found the wiring diagram. Thanks for pushing me in the right direction.

SL 30 Interconnect

I do not know haw many times I went through this manual it is only 900 pages, but you were right and I found the wiring diagram. Thanks for pushing me in the right direction.

The G3X Touch is capable of receiving VOR, localizer and glideslope information from an SL 30 through the use of an RS232 connection to a GDU. This NAV information will display on the G3X, there is no need for an additional HSI. A GNS unit or other GPS navigator would make RNAV approaches available to you, but the SL 30 is fully capable of being used for ILS approaches. The interconnect diagram for the SL 30 is on page 27-23 of the AL revision of the G3X Touch Installation Manual.

Thanks,

Justin

Back