What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Video - Fiberglass Flanges

Nice video. And plane.

I am only providing this feedback because it is important if you build something more structural than what you made.

Laying the fiberglass matt on top of wax to figure out how to cut it (shape) is ?dangerous?. The wax transfers to the matt and depending on where that layer goes in the lay out schedule, it allows for delamination later on.

It is better to measure the matt before you apply wax on the tape. Also throw away whatever gloves used and put away any tools that touched the wax.

Peel ply will also make the flange consistent and remove some of the excess resin.

Thanks for the tip on partly cutting the part. Will try that on the next part i build.

Flanges

Pretty cool! Love the videos! I've seen Mike Patey do that trick too with the tabs and not cutting all the way through till the end. Could I share a tip that I have? I save hotel key cards and use them as spreaders..also the harbor freight vibrating multi tool works great for cutting fiberglass and carbon with almost no dust!

Click Bond nutplates are really nice, but super expensive. Do you have a source of supply for less than about $5 each?

An alternative if you don't want to squeeze rivets in composite is to make up a bunch of nut plates (plate nuts) that are pre-laminated into glass cloth patches that can be bonded in place. having the elastomeric locating/clamping feature is really nice, but not $5 nice.

Also I would reiterate Axel's comment/caution about contamination. Cut your cloth in a clean place with clean gloves. Keep everything you expect to bond together away from any wax. When you use wax as a release agent, allow it to dry/harden and wipe it with a dry cotton cloth before doing any layup on it.

A few other optional tricks people can try, and decide what they like to do:

1) you can just wet the surface of the part, lay a dry ply on it, wet it out, lay the next ply on it, wet that out, etc. Not really necessary to wet out each ply on a surface and then transfer it. With some weaves that are fairly stable, it can work fine to wet each ply separately on a surface; it can even give a neater job, although stickier handling. But with a very "drapey" bias twill cloth, it will lose any sense of the shape you want by the time you wet it, pick it up, and place it on your part. With those kinds of cloth, it really does help to position it on the part dry and wet it in place.

2) at the other extreme, for something like a flange or a corner tape, you can wet out all the plies, and stack them all on top of each on your wetting surface. Start with a peel ply, then the whole stack. That way, you can pick up the whole stack and position it on the part in one shot, using the peel ply as a membrane to help transfer and position the stack. When I do that, I often place a second dry peel ply on top after everything is in position, to help squeeze out excess resin and get the stack pushed tight into corners, etc. With the peel ply all saturated, it is almost like a quickie vacuum bag.

great ideas

All great ideas and tricks thanks guys.

I usually use peel ply on everything but just happened to run out on this project.

I didn't end up using this emp fairing btw since I wasn't 100% happy with the fit. I made a custom carbon fibre one you'll see in couple weeks video.

I just had so many question about flanges on the cowling video I thought I'd slap another one together. The actual footage I used was undeleted from recycling bin hahaha

clickbond

Yeah they're not cheap but very useful in places where riveting is impossible or very difficult.

Use the TheFlightShop to order from

Back