What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV friendly airport near Tampa?

tkatc

Well Known Member
Flying into the Tampa area on Saturday to see some spring training baseball. Staying Saturday and Sunday night. What's the best little airport where my RV will be safe and logistically works as far as rental car and such??

Peter O Knight Airport

We stopped at Peter O Knight last year. Great service, and a fun approach over the bay. We didn't get a car, but did learn that you have to point out the airport on a map to the taxi drivers or they will take you to the main airport no matter how many times you say the name.

Albert Whitted (KSPG), in downtown St Petersburg. Great approaches over the bay, the pier or over the top of USF(University of South Florida) depending on the active runway.
Beautiful airport, hangar restaurant & lots to do downtown. The beaches are about 5 miles away. If the wife is with you... great shopping and the Dali museum is adjacent to the airport. This will also give you great access to both sides of the bay for games.
Be sure to check prices at Tampa Exec(VDF) as they've initiated landing fees a few months back. I'm not sure what other fees they may also charge.
Although, they may be waived for overnights.

Last edited:
If the wife is with you...

No, Vlad is going to Texas. :D:D

Thanks for the suggestion. I think I have ruled out VDF because of fees. Maybe something just North of Tampa. I would really like to have the car waiting for me or VERY close to the airport. Maybe I should look for "Enterprise", don't they come and pick you up?

We have been in to Peter O Knight a couple of times and it is a nice airport with friendly staff. Several close restaurants on Davis Island. (The airport is on Davis Island) We have always been met by friends, so am not sure about rental cars, but a call to the FBO would clear that up.

No, Vlad is going to Texas. :D:D

Thanks for the suggestion. I think I have ruled out VDF because of fees. Maybe something just North of Tampa. I would really like to have the car waiting for me or VERY close to the airport. Maybe I should look for "Enterprise", don't they come and pick you up?

SPG, St Petersburg has car rentals on site.
PIE, St Pete/Clearwater has car rentals but may be a little more expensive.
This airport is right across the bay, & is to the west of TPA, Tampa. Signature is the FBO & is pricey.

Yeah - what he said

If you're going to games in Tampa, Peter O Knight or Tampa Exec. Peter O has a wonderful approach over the water if you have a NE wind and is very close to downtown.
Tampa Exec on the edge of town but another good choice if you're heading south as it's close to I-75 and I-4 if heading towards Orlando or St Pete.

If the majority of your time is going to be spent in St Pete/Pinellas county for games, Dan's suggestion of Albert Whitted would be my choice.

And if you just want to take a few hours to hang out with a bunch of RV'ers, come over to Zephyrhills, KZPH. 5 min hop from KVDF. Let me know if you're coming and I'll try to get Dan over here too.

By the way, your thread is one of the most useful on the forum. Thanks for taking the time with the responses.

Carl,
ZPH looks pretty attractive to me. Cheap gas, not too far away from Steinbrenner Stadium (going to see Phillies/Yankees on Sunday), and keeps me away from Tampa class B airspace. There seems to be rental cars at the airport but they close at noon on Saturday and I won't be arriving until 6 or 7pm. I'll have to call to see what arrangements can be made.

Last edited:
St Pete airports

I have a hanger at PIE and I really like the airport. Two FBOs on field. Very friendly people but gas is $$$. Things are gearing up for the St Pete grand prix so call ahead before flying into Albert Whitted (SPG). Which teams are you looking to see?

Tampa Class B....

are a great bunch of contollers and very friendly. If you fly in from the east going to PIE, you'll fly through the east-west corridor over 9-27. Very easy especially at 6 or 7 pm. Traffic is nothing like what you deal with on a daily basis where you are. I enjoy flying in Tampa Class B to keep my skills up but without a lot of traffic.

PIE is about 7 miles due west of Steinbrenner and about 5 miles due south of the Phillies ball park. Both great places. I love living in Florida.

Carl,
ZPH looks pretty attractive to me. Cheap gas, not too far away from Steinbrenner Stadium (going to see Phillies/Yankees on Sunday), and keeps me away from Tampa class B airspace. There seems to be rental cars at the airport but he close at noon on Saturday and I won't be arriving until 6 or 7pm. I'll have to call to see what arrangements can be made.

Carl,
ZPH looks pretty attractive to me. Cheap gas, not too far away from Steinbrenner Stadium (going to see Phillies/Yankees on Sunday), and keeps me away from Tampa class B airspace. There seems to be rental cars at the airport but they close at noon on Saturday and I won't be arriving until 6 or 7pm. I'll have to call to see what arrangements can be made.

ZPH does boast the cheapest gas and we'd enjoy meeting you over the weekend but make sure the convenience of VDF doesn't outweigh the price of fuel. It's WAY closer to Steinbrenner, unless you plan on staying somewhere near the ball park on Dale Mabry.

Sending you phone number by PM

Hey thanks Carl,

I may just give you a call. We wouldn't be arriving until 6-7 pm so you may not still be at the airport by then. I wouldn't mind seeing your RV and future RV.

do call

Unfortunately, I won't be at the airport after about 3:00pm on Sat. Brother in Law having birthday party for his sister (my Becky) Sorry I'll miss you then but hope to catch you before you leave. I'm in hanger (building) 4, unit 8 - first row of T hangers adjacent to the FBO ramp, facing runway 4. Front row center.

Fly safe - hope to meet you.

Visites

Hello all
Due to empending weather, we departed Nova Scotia a few days early. I wanted to be able to say I left my grass strip and flew to Fl in one day, so weather had to be real good all along the eastern seaboard. In 12 hrs we flew 9.5 hrs and arrived in Kisssimmee one hr before dark (VFR). Things did not look good for sucess on the first leg. 69 Knots head winds @ 8500' and we could not decend for less head wind as we were crossing a bay of water. Once we reached our turning waypoint things improved. As we progressed south , head winds subsided and ground speeds increased.
We are now in Kissimmee with a few spare days, and would like to visite anything aviation related in the local area.
Thanks Ron

Back