What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Gap between filter bracket and cowling inlet?

pilot28906

Well Known Member
How much gap is normal between the air filter front bracket (horizontal induction) and the lower cowl inlet lip where the rubber material attaches?

I am having trouble getting the bottom cowl off with the prop on as there is not enough forward room available to get the bottom cowl inlet lip from over the filter ramp.

Thanks,

For it to work, you have to mold the extension on the cowl inlet as detailed in the FAB install instructions .

The cowl has to move straight down to be removed, and if the extension hasn't been added, the inlet of the FAB is penetrating into the portion of the scoop that extends out fwd on the cowl. This will make the fwd portion of the FAB captured in this area and not allow the cowl to be lowered (I'm pretty sure there is a side view diagram in the instructions that shows this)

Snorkel pointers

As mentioned, a custom molded extension has to be made into the cowl that the rubber will go over. I have seen them anywhere from around 1" to 3" long. I built a -4, and rather than molding it from fiberglass, I contoured an aluminum flange the same shape as the inlet and bonded it in. The snorkel then needs to come within about 1/2" or so when the cowling is raised vertically in place. The rubber seal is then attached to the snorkel and protrudes over the extension on the cowling..this is the tricky part, as it usually needs to be slit with "fingers" to facilitate getting it up and over the inlet. If your clearance is too close, twisting loads from engine torque will be transmitted through the FAB and can cause the induction system (carburetor in my case) to loosen, so when done correctly, you will have a good seal without making cowling removal impossible. I am able to push the rubber seal in place with a finger tip or Popsicle stick if one of the fingers is folded in during cowl install.

My post is confusing. I have the smooth cowl with the snorkel that comes up to the left inlet. I think I need to trim the filter front bracket and/or trim the cowl inside the inlet so the cowl inlet will drop straight down past the filter front bracket. The rubber will bridge this gap. Hard to explain without a photo.
Thanks

Back