What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

If you have standard D-Sub connector and need a Shield Drain

jliltd

Well Known Member
Here is a quick tip in case you are installing an electronic unit that needs to have the backshell bonded to a shield drain. The internal part of all D-Subs is the same whether or not it is a fancy quality item like the Garmin connector kits or a consumer-grade connector. The difference is the quality of the backshell and hardware components, as a rule.

If you find yourself in need of a connector kit for one of these units I have found a short-term solution to keep things rolling without delay. I will use standard cheap backshells and place a ring terminal under one of the attach screws. Either sandwitched between the male and female connectors on the unit or more prefereable under the head side of the attach screw, which stays with the connector instead of being loose. Here is what I am talking about:

SZww5gc.jpg

For safety of flight components I would suggest later replacing the backshell with the high-quality versions intended in the installation. For ancillary devices like ADS-B "in" etc. you might just want to leave things this way. In the example above I have shielded signal wires going into an AV-30 EFIS for RS-232 and the OAT temp probe. Since the AV-30 doesn't even make provisions for shielding and their included pre-wired harness isn't as high a quality as my backshell this will stay.

That white pitot-static line.... might want to ensure that it comes straight out from the fitting rather than at an angle.

Dave

Back