What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

audio question

Jrskygod

Well Known Member
I'm working on a RV3 and need a bit of audio intelligence. I have the following devices which I need to hear. Some are stereo and some are mono. Com 1 and com 2 are mono, EFIS audio is stereo and On speed device is stereo. What do I need to combine these devices in a single set of headphones. Will I need an audio panel so that when there is activity on the com radio the others are muted?

I'm working on a RV3 and need a bit of audio intelligence. I have the following devices which I need to hear. Some are stereo and some are mono. Com 1 and com 2 are mono, EFIS audio is stereo and On speed device is stereo. What do I need to combine these devices in a single set of headphones. Will I need an audio panel so that when there is activity on the com radio the others are muted?

You need to decide what you want for comfort, ease of use, cost.
Lowest cost: Install a DPDT switch to switch the mike and PTT between the two radios. Use a $80 (or build your own for $5) mixer, and mix all the audio inputs together and feed them to your headset. There will be no muting, adjust the volumes so the com is louder than the EFIS and ON-speed tones. Turn down the volume of the radio you're not using.
Highest cost: get an audio panel, use it to switch between radios, mute aux inputs (EFIS, ON-speed). Ask yourself, do you really want these things muted? I presume no intercom is needed here.

Back