What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Lighting switches

Av8torTom

Well Known Member
Hi everyone. I'm working on my panel and I'm seeking input on switches to control lighting. I have FlyBoy's "The Works" wingtip position, strobe and landing lights. Wigwag is also an option. I noticed FlyBoy's also has a progressive switch that could be useful. Thoughts?

I?ll throw what I have done into the mix for comments:

Switch one: OFF-NAV-NAV+COCKPIT

Switch two: OFF-BEACON-BEACON+STROBES

Switch three: OFF-PULSE-LAND

Gordon

Adding to the mix --

Strobe - On/Off
Nav - On/Off
Ldg Light - (Left wing) - On/Off
Taxi Light - (Right wing) - On/Off
Wig Wag - On/Off

The Wig Wag takes "priority" over the Ldg & Taxi (thank you Garmin G3X GAD-27)

Cheers!

B

Mel, so in the pattern during the day I may want to have strobes and wig-wag and maybe even position lights on?

Then at night strobes, position and landing lights?

Mel, so in the pattern during the day I may want to have strobes and wig-wag and maybe even position lights on?
Then at night strobes, position and landing lights?

You can never have too many lights on. A friend of mine who flies for AA once told me that above 10,000' they have all the lights on. Below 10,000', they turn the rest of them on!

It?s addressed in an AC somewhere. NAV lights whenever there is power on the plane. Beacon from before start to after shutdown. Strobes (and wing/ice lights prior to taking the runway until clear of runway. Landing lights on when cleared for takeoff (not line up and wait). Use the wig-wag anytime you don?t actually need the landing lights, for us it?s all the time below 18,000, with the wing lights same.

When it?s actually dark we also throw in the logo lights to illuminate the tail.

FWIW here is what I have.

fc68.jpg

Switch Panel Color code:
GREEN: Normally ON while operating the aircraft
BLUE: ON or OFF while airborne
YELLOW: Lights
RED: "Special" Situation(s)

Light Switches:
BEACON(G): Always ON (in case I forget to turn the master switch OFF before getting out of the airplane)
NAV(G): ON as soon as the alternator comes on line.
STROBE(B): ON prior to taking the runway and while airborne until clear of runway. The STROBE switch only has power if the NAV switch is ON so the NAV lights have to be on for the STROBES to work.
RECOG(Y): Also known as "Wig-Wag" mode, ON before I start to taxi.
LAND(Y): ON when cleared for takeoff then OFF once safely airborne. ON when cleared for landing then OFF once off the runway. LAND/TAXI mode overrides the RECOGNITION circuit so I don't accidentally get a flashing effect while landing or taxiing at night.

:cool:

Last edited:
For many RV?s their strobes are also their ?anti-collision lights? (no beacon), so the rules are a little different. FARs require anti-collision lights to be on at all times, except off as required ?in the interest of safety?. For me this means on at all times during the day; on at night except when I might blind someone (taxiing near another airplane, runup or holding short with landing aircraft); off in the clouds if it bothers me (usually doesn?t).

OK, so sounds like a progressive switch that is off, Nav on, Nav and Strobes on would work. Then maybe a separate switch for wig-wag and one for landing lights? So a total of 3 switches. Thoughts?

Hi Tom,

Human Factors are something I love studying, so when it came time for my switchology I wanted to make it as simple as possible. If the switch is Down, the system is OFF. If it's Up, the system is ON. All my switches are grouped by system or phase of flight, if I have to turn everything off because of an electrical problem it's one swipe of my hand down without looking or thinking.

I'm using the AeroLED SunRay Plus LED landing light that has it's own built-in wig-wag, so I've got a 3 way switch from Mouser that is OFF-ON-ON, it will be wired Off-Steady (for night flying)-WigWag (for normal daytime ops.) I use the same switch for my heater and it's OFF-LOW-HIGH.

I go more into the design of my panel here: https://seareybuild.blogspot.com/2012/12/going-with-flow.html

Take care,
Steve

Last edited:
+1 for keeping it simple.
Tom, with an ?off-nav-nav+strobe? switch, imagine landing at night with that switch full on. Turning off the runway, you see other aircraft, so you want to turn the strobes off. But it?s too easy to move that switch to full down without noticing, and now you?re taxiing in the dark with no nav lights.

+1 for keeping it simple.
Tom, with an ‘off-nav-nav+strobe’ switch, imagine landing at night with that switch full on. Turning off the runway, you see other aircraft, so you want to turn the strobes off. But it’s too easy to move that switch to full down without noticing, and now you’re taxiing in the dark with no nav lights.

+1, Bob, a few years ago we had a AOPA seminar on night flying, afterward we all stood outside and watched an attendee taxi out with their nav lights Off, but with beacon and taxi light On. Them who have, and them that are going to, I might have done that myself, too. Maybe even more than once.

Back