What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Lycoming SB 632B

WrightsRV7

Well Known Member
What a wonderful world it is....pay 45K for a NEW engine and then SB632 shows up, however, not in my mailbox...which I find odd. Nevertheless, there are a lot of NEW Lycoming engine purchasers looking at pulling six cylinders and performing a somewhat difficult, almost qualitative type of evaluation and then possible connecting rod replacement.:eek: So my question to RV10 and the many others affected by the SB632 who bought engines in 2016, what has been the resolution with Lycoming? Are they gladly paying the labor & parts cost to make the evaluation/repair? Any experiences (good, bad, or ugly) gleaned in the recent months would be most valuable to hear in the VAF forum and/or a redirect if I have missed a thread on this topic that is already in motion.

Thanks...

Still learning how to search the forum correctly....appreciate the bump to the link Dan. Having read it, sounds like VANS is not committing to being a distributor, disappointing I think. I hope if nothing else, this "duplicate" thread brings more awareness to a very serious SB out to very low time RVs (or yet to be flown). Lycoming has apparently stated that this can happen quickly (i.e. failure) after a clean bill of health by oil analysis.

Having read it, sounds like VANS is not committing to being a distributor, disappointing I think.

Van's is not an engine shop. I think they are correctly deferring the problem back to the OEM. Honestly, I don't think I'd WANT Van's performing the SB (now AD) work on my engine - all due respect to their capabilities. Easy for me to say, since mine came out of an engine shop to begin with but part of the reason for that was that Lycoming would not build an engine to my specifications (Airflow Performance injection and set up for dual LSE ignition but shipped with no ignition since I had purchased the system with my avionics. Oh, and red cases.) and Van's, of course, was not set up to modify a Lycoming build for me.

I left this comment in this thread as it seems sideways to the discussion in the main thread.

Is Vans A Lycoming Distributor?

Lycoming requires sourcing of parts and processing of warranty claims for field compliance with SB 632 to go through a Lycoming "Distributor." Those of us who bought our engines through Vans assumed that company was a distributor. At Oshkosh two Lycoming reps said that Vans was my conduit for complying with the SB. With no prior connection to established distributors, I lack the clout that I would have had by buying my engine through one of them. In fact, some like Aviall do not deal with individuals.

I had hoped that Vans, which probably sold several hundred affected engines, would have acted as our agent to obtain tools, parts and warranty reimbursements. Sadly the company says otherwise.

So far an A&P-IA I engaged to do my engine, with my assistance, acquired the tool and gaskets from Aviall using his trade account.

.... In fact, some like Aviall do not deal with individuals.

I got my engine and prop through Van's, too. For the sake of others, I (as an individual) got the tool and all the warranty paperwork done through Triad. And Triad gave me the green light to have the work done by any A&P I trusted. They were really accommodating and easy to work with.

Triad was a good lead, thanks Joe!

Well call is in Triad, they are of course well versed with this SB, yet to see anything in the mail to get started, but a great shop to work with on the phone. Thanks again Joe for the lead to them.
Cheers, Mike

ONE out of SIX failed.....

Well Triad has been good so far to work with and then using a local shop (West Coast Air Creations at KRIR) who have been fantastic to work with. Not sure if anyone is keeping score, but in the testing we had one fail, so new connecting rod/bushing it is... The failure is quite dramatic, I was expecting a few mm or something of movement, but man it "pops" the bushing on failure, guess why Lycoming did not give a "movement value/limit" in the SB. Guess I am so glad to find this out on the ground, but I am still just shaking my head as I look into the "belly" of my brand new engine with the cylinder off waiting for replacement parts to come in :rolleyes:

no information worth repeating

I read the entire article, if he has a so-called less invasive procedure he is as bad as Lycoming with disclosure....nothing put in print. I work R&D, understand if I tell you I have to shoot you... But this article was just wha-wha...call the wha-ambulance. Did nothing for owners subject to SB-632. Sorry, I like information, not whining. I have done many many field cylinder replacements, yes, it is work that requires attention, so does completing a fuel line system, rigging control surfaces, we all hang on the idea and reality that work is done right etc... this all done really well in the field for decades by many IAs, A&Ps, and experimental builders/maintainers.

Cheers, Mike

lycoming No. 1458G

Just want to add....most connecting rod bolts are torqued values (40 ft-lbs), see Lycoming SI-1458G, at least affecting the RV10 owners who bought the new YIO-540-D4A5, even if stretch bolts are used, Lycoming allows torque bolts in all but one case. If one can't torque a bolt, should one be building or repairing an aircraft...question for us all to consider....... you torqued your prop bolts to......????.:eek:

Happy flying and SB632 compliant and hating it all the way.....ugh

Back