What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Panel finishing

TShort

Well Known Member
Does anyone have a link or resource for options for panel finishing?

I'm redoing the -10 panel, and am having an aluminum panel cut by Bill at Up North.

I'm planning on a flat mid to dark gray color.

I would like something very durable, and labeled in a way that is durable and looks professional.

I don't really have a good idea what options there are - engraving, silk screen, etc etc or what the best options are for finishing, etc.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Panel finish

If I was doing it again I would use vinyl. It can be done in an amazing variety of colours...some very nice carbon fibre looks etc. They can print whatever you want on it. Relatively inexpensive as well.
Al

I laid out my panel with all instrumentation, switches, breakers, etc installed in it, as bare aluminum. Then I hand-labeled them with a Sharpie, removed the panel and took it to a sign shop. They took my labeling and printed it on a sheet of vinyl, with correct positioning, which was then laid on top of the aluminum and the openings cut out, and I reinstalled it in the plane. Looks great!

Panel

Just left our RV-7 panel at the hydro dippers. Going to get a carbon fiber finish with matte clear coating. Then off to the lettering guys.

Powder Coat

My panel is powder coated. The choices in color are the same as paint, so basically unlimited. The powder coating was then laser engraved and backfilled with white paint. Extremely happy with how it turned out.

Panel pic here...

My panel is powder coated. The choices in color are the same as paint, so basically unlimited. The powder coating was then laser engraved and backfilled with white paint. Extremely happy with how it turned out.

Panel pic here...
Exactly how I did my panel upgrade. Now it looks like this:

23f2.jpg

Back