What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Treated or Untreated UltraLeather

Lynnb

Well Known Member
I had posted this under Interiors, but didn't get any responses, so I thought I'd see if anyone here might have some thoughts:

So I've read a lot on people buying and using Ultra Leather for there DIY interiors and I was wondering if they are getting it treated with Flame Retardant from Tapis industries or just off the shelf untreated? I talked to a salesguy at Ultra Fabrics in there Aviation department and he said the ultra leather by itself doesn't meet Far28.853, but they partner with Tapis who treats the material to meet the reg and then sells to the public. Just curious if others are going this route, or being we don't need burn tests they just go with the base stuff?

http://www.tapiscorp.com/productmain.html

Thanks,
Lynn

the weight savings (and presumably cost savings) of ultra leather will never outweigh the smell/feel/etc of real leather

and you don't have to worry about all the chemicals needed to allow plastic to pass a burn test....i don't even want to know what they're using

I have treated Ultraleather from Tapis in my RV-10. It feels amazing and visitors quite often comment on it.

I also burn tested before and after the material was treated. The treatment was quite effective.

David

Seat Fires

If your seat is catching on fire, regardless of material, I'm thinking it's a lost cause.

David,

Did you do your interior yourself? Have any pictures?

Thanks,
Lynn

I have treated Ultraleather from Tapis in my RV-10. It feels amazing and visitors quite often comment on it.

I also burn tested before and after the material was treated. The treatment was quite effective.

David

Just to play devils advocate. I have pulled out after market seat heaters from cars that not knowing had shorted and burned under the leather upholstery, all I knew was it was not longer working. Heck, maybe I want to smoke in my cockpit and would hate for a loose ash to start a fire. ;) ...and no I don't smoke.

I agree here, mine are untreated......but hey! I have a SS firewall :rolleyes:

Lynn,

I had my upholstery done at Oregon Aero (they made the seats afterall!). I'm away from home at the moment and don't have any pictures handy, but I'm sure OA can send you some examples if you ask. Dave Esterline there is a real class act.

David

Back