What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

EMS-D120 amp indication issue

MWDG3

A local RV9A is having erroneous indications on his Dynon EMS D120. Amp indication has been -3 to -10 in the past, but never as high as yesterday. Voltage has always indicated 13.8-13.9v. I noticed thru search, a few indication problems reported here over the years. Any input from the membership would be greatly appreciated.

Dynon%20ems_zpsl1w5pkqe.jpg

If everything appears to be working correctly but the indication is way off, check all the connections from the unit to the shunt.

:cool:

Where is the shunt located? There are 3 possible functions: measure battery current, measure alternator current, or measure aircraft load current. In any case, a normally negative indication is caused by the two small shunt wires being reversed.
Unusually large current indication is caused by corrosion on the large terminals of the shunt. I suggest that the large cable terminals on the shunt be disassembled, cleaned, and reassembled.

Also beginning to have bad current indications...

Has anyone experienced problems with the D120 or possibly D180 regarding current indication? Shunt checks out, leads check out, all connections clean.

Checking for possible unknown solutions before removing and shipping off to the factory for service...

Search a thread titled "help trouble shoot an electrical gremlin started by DennisRhodes. Prob find your issue.

My D-180 ammeter has never displayed the correct current. Several other RV-12 owners have the same problem with their D-180s. To rule out a problem with the aircraft wiring, I put a jumper across the D-180 ammeter terminals. The display should be zero, but it is not. The ammeter display is still erratic. I only pay attention to the voltage.

Thanks for taking time to reply. Guess these units can have issues - mine have worked flawlessly for many years. Now to find a time to take the plane down for a few weeks to ship it off to the factory...

Back