What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Anyone mounted a RAMI AVT-4

Lynnb

Well Known Member
I was looking at this antenna to mount on the back deck between F-1007 and F-1008. I was curious if anyone had done this and if so, did you center it and drill through the J-Stringer, or did you offset it? If you did drill through the J-Stringer, did you do anything to re-enforce it?

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/avpages/avt4.php

Thanks,
Lyn

Save your money and get a Rami AV10 which is half the cost of the AVT4. I have a AV10 mounted on the top of my tailcone a few inches aft of the baggage bulkhead and paired with an SL 30--works great.

Ok, same question I think applies to the AV-10, to center it, you would need to drill through a J-stringer correct?

Opps, sorry about that. I offset mine. The doubler inside the tailcone is abutted up against the stringer, but I did not drill through it. I can't find a pic of the inside but here's the outside:

31744806374_2e634d2b96_z.jpg

Note, this close to the cabin top I extended the ground plane onto the cabin using 1/4" copper foil embedded into the fiberglass.

Be careful when you attach a doubler in that area, it is not flat, and the doubler will cause the curvature to flatten out. I mounted mine in the same location and in the same manner using a small spacer to maintain the curvature of the fuse.

Back