What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dynon Skyview owners, Two or one? Opinion

ron sterba

Well Known Member
Have all, 10 Skyview with ADSB ready to install in my 9A but was wondering about a second Skyview in the 7" display. After playing with the 10" Skyview I'am NOT SURE I like SHARING the 10" MAP display with the engine instruments system display..I thinking as a hogster and want a 7" display for just the engine gauges. Your thoughts, one or both??. If you are flying the Dynons whats your preference?????? Do you prefer all map? or split??? Thanks

Ron in Oregon

Although not Skyviews, I am very glad I have two EFIS screens, as well as the backup steam gauges-----this way I can dedicate one EFIS to the engine stuff, one to the map/navigation stuff, and still have flight instruments available.

I would suggest you consider having two, if not three screens to make it unnecessary to flip around through different screens to get the needed information displayed.

P2030029.jpg

Last edited:
Not flying yet but I have sat inside with going through the pages of my 2 10'' Skyviews and I think I am going to like having the second screen to show full screen moving map with the PFD and EMS on the screen infront of me. Skyview has a swap button as well so you can easily swap the 2 look at the Moving Map infront of you and then swap them back. Lots of options and versatility with having the 2 screens.

Again I havent flown it yet so i cant say this is what will actually happen but I think im going to enjoy it.

One

There are too many other cool things to put in the plane. I have a 10" and love it. I would kind of like 2 x10" but the cost and panel space not available. I have a buddy with a 10 and a 7, and he is pulling the 7 (might sell it is brand new??) as it is so much smaller, its not workable for him.

If you can do 2 10s, do that. If not, stick with one and love it. Cheers, r

You can fit two 10" screens in the std panel of a 7, I think the 9 has the same sized panel ?
Here is my setup.

dsc01591custom.jpg

This is the view I have on the pilot side,

cam0603custom.jpg

The FO view

cam0613custom.jpg

I found the screen labels hard to read on the 7" screen, it would be best to test some 7" screens to see how clean they are to your eyes.

See my post #718 on this thread, from last night - http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=1743&page=72

There is room to fit 2 10" Skyviews in the 9 panel, with another central radio stack, if you are careful about what equipment you choose. The transponder interface function is built into the Dynon if you use their transponder. The 430W in my case handles primary nav/comm also, so you don't need that radio deck.

2 10's

I have two 10's opposed with a garmin stack in the middle. I love the layout, thank you fabian, as my wife and I both fly. The cost difference between the 10-7 is minimal in the grand scheme. Plus your pax will be thrilled.

I have two 10's, side by side, in my 9A, and love it. The radio stack is to the right of the of the screens. Works great for me!

I'll argue the other way on this.... For my mission, I am perfectly happy MOST of the time with a single D100 screen. I have two 7" screens (one on each side of the 9), and one is a D100, the other a D120. They talk, of course and it is easy to configure a display to use both sets of data. The main reason for a D100+D120 is that way I got the second screen. My wife flies occasionally, thus having a screen on both sides is nice. If it was just me, a D180 would probably be fine. Again, this works for my mission.

I have looked at the skyview screens, and agree with Jamie that the 7" skyview screen is a bit tough on my eyes. The 10" display is exactly the same as the 7" but easier for me to read.

Just my 2c.

Greg

I also have two 10 inch skyviews, and with all of 9 hours of flight time so far, I vote for two! I am happy to be able to see the map on one while accessing the
airport information page on the other, while still having the engine gauges and flight instruments displayed.

A year ago I pulled out a Dynon D100 EFIS and D10 EMS and replaced them with a single 10" Skyview on the left side. Over on the right, where the D10 EMS was I put a Dynon D1 Pocket Panel over the hole.

Dynon will not like this answer but I see no need for two 10" screens, other than possible redundancy. The 10” screen is plenty large enough to handle everything I need. My typical display is 40/40/20. (40% AI, 40% moving map, and 20% EMS.)

New%2520Panel%25202.JPG

Last edited:
Thanks all that answered. I would like the 10" plus the 7" only because the seven I think is . Only worthy of engine instruments. When funds are limited, the thinking was limited to the smaller 7",even with 7" the display of engine instrumentation size was larger than what was standard depictions size on the 10" of the same instrumentation. Just wish dynon would come out with engine display only. Again I'll take all accounts into consideration. Thanks again.
Ron in oregon

Ron

Hey Ron. I tried to reply to your pm. Says your pm box is full and wont accept any more messages. I will fire you the info requested when i get it to your email. Do delete some pms thought.:p

If your mission is VFR then one screen will be more then adequate. For IFR use, two screens would be a big improvement.

Interesting thread as I'm seriously looking at a Skyview system, and based upon my experience with dual GRT's I'm planning on the single 10". On the GRT I run the PFD on one and EMS on another - I don't think I've ever flown with a Map page displayed for more than a few seconds. THAT function is covered adequately by the 396, 430, and iPad. Though I have yet to fly behind one, I think the 10" Skyview is capable of displaying engine data ON the PFD, right? While more screens is "nice", for an airplane that will be flown VFR 99% of the time, I think the single screen will be just fine.

I have 2 ten inch screens in my 7 with a garmin stack in the middle. The advantage of the two screens is that you have so much flexibility. Now I have ads b I find myself using the full screen on the right for the map page. I change up the screens to fit the particular mission. On another note ! The ads b is wonderfully addition to the system but I still miss my garmin 696. One more topic to get in, the data logging is cool!!! Wish I had it during phase 1

Dan Peeler
Rv7a. IOX-360

Have all, 10 Skyview with ADSB ready to install in my 9A but was wondering about a second Skyview in the 7" display. After playing with the 10" Skyview I'am NOT SURE I like SHARING the 10" MAP display with the engine instruments system display..I thinking as a hogster and want a 7" display for just the engine gauges. Your thoughts, one or both??. If you are flying the Dynons whats your preference?????? Do you prefer all map? or split??? Thanks

Ron in Oregon

We have the single 10 inch screen in our -8. Did this mainly for fit in the panel which as you know is much more narrow than your panel, and because of cost. I have gotten used to it and can switch around quickly, my dad still struggles with it a bit and finds himself looking at our backup steam gauges more. I also usually switch off the GPS screen when I arrive at my destination so that I have the bigger engine instrument screen, makes everything easier to see and allows more information to fit. I would say if you can afford it, having the second screen would be pretty nice and would keep your eyes out of the cockpit more. Installation doesn't add too much work either.

Last edited:
I'll argue the other way on this.... For my mission, I am perfectly happy MOST of the time with a single D100 screen. I have two 7" screens (one on each side of the 9), and one is a D100, the other a D120. They talk, of course and it is easy to configure a display to use both sets of data. The main reason for a D100+D120 is that way I got the second screen. My wife flies occasionally, thus having a screen on both sides is nice. If it was just me, a D180 would probably be fine. Again, this works for my mission.

I have looked at the skyview screens, and agree with Jamie that the 7" skyview screen is a bit tough on my eyes. The 10" display is exactly the same as the 7" but easier for me to read.

Just my 2c.

Greg

I dont think the 7 would be hard on the eyes if you are using it full screen for engine instruments. You can adjust the sizes of all the gauges and text if it is.

I find that in my current flying, about 75% of my flights are with another pilot in the right seat or someone interested in becoming a pilot, so I wanted to configure the panel so it could be easily flown from either seat. With dual 10" Skyview displays (one EFIS, one EIS) a simple button push swaps the orientation and the right seat pilot has full flight instruments in front of them instead of across the cockpit. I have full redundant (or centrally located) controls on everything else except the master/ignition for this reason.

A while back I sat in a plane with a Dynon 10" and 7" screen, and my eyes had a hard time adjusting to the smaller font on the 7" engine data after viewing the 10" flight data. With a cost differential as small as it is for the screen, I just went with dual 10's.

I don't think this has been mentioned yet, but each screen only has 2 knobs. If you split the screen, then you only have one knob for the PDF control. This is a bit of a pain if using the Dynon auto pilot because you constantly have to change what the knob does to set the bugs for AP control and Baro. I find myself switching quite a bit between full screen PFD and split screen for this purpose. This is a bigger deal on shorter flights, and if IMC I will just go full screen PFD for dual knob control while preparing for an approach. I have a VP-200 that shows engine, so I never show it on the Skyview.

A quick access panel like the HS-34 or AP-74 would be a huge benefit. I think a second screen would be as well.

While cruising, the engine is not a big focus as long as the alarms are set to get your attention if something gets out of the green.

While cruising, the engine is not a big focus as long as the alarms are set to get your attention if something gets out of the green.

Heresy!!

I tweak and play with my engine a lot during cruise. It will speak fluently to you if you know how to listen. :) It's an abnormal 5-minute stretch in cruise where I'm not tweaking something.

Heresy!!

I tweak and play with my engine a lot during cruise. It will speak fluently to you if you know how to listen. :) It's an abnormal 5-minute stretch in cruise where I'm not tweaking something.

Shortly after getting my PPL I took my parrents up for a ride. Years later I found out my father was uncomfortable flying with me because I was always fiddling with something.

Interesting feedback.

...and thanks to the high resolution engine monitoring available these days, I'm a "set and forget" type. I can go for hours without touching anything but the radio.

Shortly after getting my PPL I took my parrents up for a ride. Years later I found out my father was uncomfortable flying with me because I was always fiddling with something.

Interesting feedback.

Valid point - my dad is a gearhead and fiddler like me, no issue there. Point taken, however....

Second that. Also, I have to admit that two 10" screens look cool.

IMG_2614.JPG

Nice panel - this is mine as of about 2 hours ago. Nearly identical except for the 430W about 6 inches lower.

1000188v.jpg

This need to fiddle, is it because the controls creep, or because you just need to "do something"? I ask because once set, my engine stays put. RPM and temps never vary... No need to adjust.

This need to fiddle, is it because the controls creep, or because you just need to "do something"? I ask because once set, my engine stays put. RPM and temps never vary... No need to adjust.

Not really a need to "do something" as much as a need to "look for status/health" of the engine and associated systems. It's a constant game between the forces of time and friction versus the sleuthing skills of a trained operator. Any engine, properly instrumented, will tell you about its problems long before they become a problem, if you know how to listen.

The two critical pieces here are "properly instrumented" and "know how to listen". Far too many plane/pilot combinations are lacking in one or the other. I'm not crazy enough to think I can catch everything - but I'm absolutely certain I'll catch more than most.

Last edited:
SkyviewPanelImage_zpsb8d1e7ed.jpg

This is my plan. Cut the panel for two screens and make a filler panel. Save some money for now and fly the plane. Then I can learn to use the Skyview and have a couple back ups and calibration/verification options.

each screen only has 2 knobs. If you split the screen, then you only have one knob for the PDF control. This is a bit of a pain if using the Dynon auto pilot because you constantly have to change what the knob does to set the bugs for AP control and Baro. .

My fix for this is on the FO side I set the Baro. On the pilot side I can now have both AP controls. You can see this in the last picture I posted on page one. FO has Baro and map, Pilot have TRK and ALT.

These were all great replies! Well with all the info of what -ifs, VFR vs IFR vs changing knobs,To- fiddle or not, eyes- in the cockpit or out,sharing with the passenger, Refocusing to a different size text. With all these thoughts I would take you up on it and make the trip to PACIFIC COAST AVIONICS showroom. I have taken the Dynon class for the Skyview offered by the company in the Seattle area and well worth it. (also offered at a select air venues, check Dynons Website for locations) So pretending as a pilot i focused on the 10" Skyview. Switching thru the windows ,guages,maps,split screen,auto pilot as you all have mentioned. At this point all your points are well taken and applied here. I grew up as a gauge guy and a scan of thirty degrees outside. Not considering here 7" or 10" but how I derive the info for the flight and the safety of that flight. (thinking class airspace B,C,D, or barely never.) Coming into clarity now, what fiddling will do based on the complexity of the airspace. So found that a separate control knob for just the Auto-pilot ( Sold separately by Dynon ) is popular. So with the demo unit having the moving map split screen and gauges were adequate I DID have to change my FOCUS to a SMALLER version of TEXT. At this point I'm wondering if a younger pilot say in his 20-30's feels comfortable and complacent with this SIZE and I think the answer is YES. For me NO. Plus I tend to isolate, that is, separate area for gauge reading.I like trending instruments, (VERT CLIMB) Dynon does very well with this item thats why the second screen with a FULL page exclusively to engine instruments is appealing. I think Dynon could fill a niche buy building a screen with gauges with alarms. I feel a sense of complexity coming out here.As I get older I find the KISS principle a REAl foundation now at my age (60). One surely could design a flow chart based on age/knowledge and their training whether it be EFIS or Steam gauges as there foundation then their amount of flying time in the month could dictate a level configuration for the panel. Now Im going to use MY analogy of the 10". Using my home computer screen and using the RV Discussion page for my example. I scroll down to a question click on it notice how people have answered with .com to check out a item or just a comment and next I find that somebody made note about a advertiser which shows up on the sides of the forum pages and click on that and before I know it i spent to much time scanning for a item but with so much more INFO or overload of reiterated knowledge. I question myself what WAS IT that I came to the forum page for? Heres one point. I LOST MY SCAN! My head was in the cocpit rather than out side. So what is really your thing? Only you know but you'll have to sit in somebodys plane with a EFIS and run the thoughts as I have. Now the plane I fly is Cessna 172 & has a Garmin 500 split screens,a GTN750 and a GTN 650. When I fly I find myself not fiddling with the 500 hardly (moving map screen) GTN 750 pretty much just the frequency thing for com and nav. and nearest. GTN 650 its just there. If I break the visuals down to my ideal panel it would be this way. This basis for simplicity and Bucks forked over. Screens require steps to to get to a feature. I believe when you remove steps from obtaining a feature (lets say larger screen (Class C or B ) or changing frequencies on the EFIS ( feature now being offered) you are looking at reiterate knowledge. As one pilot mentioned just go fly and let the alarms do the thinking. I think steps are removed with this idea. KISS, . Getting back to my Cessna 172, all my flight info for making this flight SAFE is on those screens. All my engines gauges still exist in steam gauge format! Easy scan and to the point. So as my wife likes multi tasking and a EFIS will surely do that but I think now keeping the head outside is better and screens that exist with the info pertinent to the phase of flight. As a instrument rated pilot for 28 years I'm not as excited about all the capibilites of IFR on my Gamin units. Soon to be flying my Dynon in the RV9A, I removed steps, I have not elected for pitot heat, do have the AOA ( Most Important or at the least near the top). I have elected for a separate comm radio, built in ADSB transponder in Dynon EFIS,external flap indicator by switch,and the separate 7" display dedicated to the engine gauges as a full page and a separate panel knob for the auto pilot. I know I'm wasting the abilities of the second Skyview 7" by only posting the engine instruments. Recently i boarded a Boeing 737 with the EFIS and I felt that Boeing went with KISS and staying FOCUSED with individual areas. Mapping,gauges, frequencies,trim. So I will go with the two Skyviews screens,mapping on one and the other engine gauges. I hope I could keep you focused on my thoughts as I presented them.And maybe a little rambling but pull out out what you feel is a focused cockpit for yourself and your flying environment.. Thanks to Dewey at Pacific coast avionics and Dynon.

Ron in Oregon

Last edited:
Back